[microsound] Linguistics and Music

Steven Ricks stevericksmusic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 19:58:17 EST 2011

The following is a fairly influential and well-known book which attempts to
describe tonal music (predominantly Western instrumental art music) using
linguistic models:

http://www.amazon.com/Generative-Theory-Tonal-Music/dp/026262107X

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM, <macdara at email.com> wrote:

> Microsounders,
>
>        I am researching the (possible) relationship between speech
> intonation and rhythm and regional traditional music styles in Ireland.
> Does anyone know of any similar projects? Or not so similar featuring
> linguistics and music, or thoughts on the above. All inspiration welcome!
>
> Macdara

Steven Ricks
Composer
Associate Professor, BYU School of Music
(801) 422-6115
www.stevericks.com

CD's
Mild Violence