[microsound] Exit Through the Gift Shop

Boris Klompus boris.klompus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 03:07:20 EST 2011

What separates the work of a street artist/graffiti writer from other visual
artists? Is it the placement, the risk in doing it, the message? Speaking of
which, what is the message -- is it disruption, thus vandalism, is it just
for fun or notoriety? Is it just a matter of breaking out of the schmoozy
art world, and letting one's art out there for others to see, or ignore, or
etc, rather than proving your worth with grants, CV's and etc in order to
get a chance to hang some art up on the walls of a predescribed gallery? The
audio equivalent to acting out based on such questions, would depend on how
one answers them.

Is it the same thing to tag over someone's wall piece as hiding a speaker on
stage before a performance and using it to interrupt the flow of the concert
once it has begun?

And what are you going for, startling people, and with it seeing their
reactions, making people think about things in a different way, taking what
is normally a mundane moment (potentially) in someone's day and pulling them
out briefly?

There are plenty of things that make noise already, for instance the
pre-recorded lady voice telling my to watch my step on the escalator.
Changing the recording that gets played back through those speakers, that
one is so desensitized to hearing, could be much more startling than placing
a new sound making source in the environment and adding an extra level of
sound. It's like the taxis in Mumbai that Hans mentioned.