[microsound] Exit Through the Gift Shop

hans w. koch kochhw at netcologne.de
Wed Feb 16 18:38:40 EST 2011

actually, you are of course right, about noise pollution in cities.
thats why i choose a spot for the installation, which was not easily accessible.
mostly people from the neighbouring residential area would use the traffic island for a stop while crossing the road to the opposite park, when going to walk their dogs.
i even bought the trashscan to mount it there myself.
(and it wasn´t playing continously, only when somebody threw something in)

but i would also consider, that there are different types of noise pollution. i was in mumbai 2 years ago, where basically everybody is driving by ear, constantly honking.
it is loud, but after a couple of days, it fades into background, except of the modern cars, which have a horns especially developped to surpass the prevalent horns of the old taxis.
high pitched, ultraloud, absolutely killing. it happended to me a couple of times sitting in a moto-rickshaw, that suddenly a new car would pull up on my side and i didn´t cover my ears fast enough and was suffering long after.
the old horns on the other hand, i learned to hear as a kind of spacial composition, made of hundreds of grains of honking.

hans
www.hans-w-koch.net