[microsound] Public USB-Sticks

Tobias Reber tobiasreber at sunrise.ch
Wed Feb 16 05:58:55 EST 2011

On a related street art note, I've recently read an article about USB
sticks installed in public, a project by an artist that's apparently
spreading quickly...
Can't remember where I originally read about it, but this article here
covers it as well:

http://laughingsquid.com/usb-flash-drive-dead-drops-installed-in-public-locations-around-nyc/

Tobias

Am 16.02.2011 um 11:42 schrieb Bernhard Living:

> Dear Hans,
>
> This is a very beautiful and effective installation, and as you
> said, the sound of the card was able to cut through the background
> noise of the traffic. Graffiti art has always had a slightly
> ‘naughty’ if not illegal aspect to it. It’s also fairly low cost
> (the price of a spray can). Your sound intervention certainly fits
> into that way of doing things.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bernhard
> On 16 Feb 2011, at 10:03, hans w. koch wrote:
>
>> i did a piece with a greeting card sound chip, which i mounted in a
>> public trashcan in budapest with a little circuitry, so that it
>> would play "fuer elise" when somebody threw something into the
>> trashcan.
>> http://www.hans-w-koch.org/installations/thankyou.html
>> even if it was on a very busy street, the crisp and chirpy sound
>> would always come thru :-)
>> hans
>> www.hans-w-koch.net
>>

>> Am 16.02.2011 um 00:55 schrieb microsound-request at or8.net:
>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:43:29 -0500
>>> From: Jeffrey Melton <jeffreymelton at gmail.com>
>>> To: "microsound at microsound.org" <microsound at microsound.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [microsound] Exit Through the Gift Shop
>>>
>>> A low cost, low risk entry point might be those digital audio
>>> chips that are prevalent these days in record-your-own-greeting
>>> cards. Or the plethora of preschool toys that do something similar.

---

Tobias Reber
Freiburgstrasse 32
2503 Biel