[microsound] Transducers as speakers

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 15:45:11 EST 2011

A friend got some of those, the only satisfactory results we got were from a heating duct in the basement and a single pane uninsulated window.

Cement conducts sound poorly (though it can reflect sound nicely with a smooth finish). Drywall is used precisely because it dampens and muffles sound. Similar with newer hollow wood or metal doors. Antique doors are often solid and resonant. Floors are nailed and glued in a way that minimizes and muffles sounds. Similar with newer double glazed windows (though older single pane windows are quite resonant). For the most part, to get interesting sounds from architecture you need out of date construction, because people buying buildings just don't want them to be noisey.