[microsound] microsound Digest, Vol 28, Issue 12

Kurt Nimmo kanimmo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:03:22 EDT 2011

Is Apple a monopoly? You bet. Is Microsoft? Yep. Do we have any other
choices? Ah, Linux, of course. Okay, now that we have that settled, who can
get all my equipment to work on a Linux computer? Guess I could pay
somebody. Now if they would only make a version of Ableton Live for that
platform... Last year I installed Ubuntu and tried to get this to work with
Wine so I could use Live... no dice. It didn't work right with the outboard
soundcard on my old ThinkPad (IBM, evil). So back to the corporatist demon
Bill Gates and MS... and when that machine died I got my boss to buy me a
MacBook Pro, since no way I could afford it.

Sorry for the sarcasm. Point is if you are going to produce music on a
personal computer you have so few choices. Linux is impossible unless you
are a Linux geek and have the time to scour to forums and find out how to
get things to work right.

I guess I could go back to acoustic.

For the record: I think Apple is as "evil" as MS. I am no way a Mac acolyte.
I just appreciate a computer that works, even if I can't afford to buy it.

Kurt