[microsound] 1 bit symphony

ndkent at optonline.net ndkent at optonline.net
Tue Sep 7 14:29:37 EDT 2010

When discussing this new work by Perich, I think it's impossible not to compare and critique it in comparison to his 2006 work "1-Bit Music".  I thought that work was brilliantly conceptional (though I dropped and cracked mine and can't easily get a replacement). The form factor is that of a CD case minus the CD. Rather than a CD being read and decoded in 16 bit glory by an digital to analog converter in a player, he's simply programmed a fixed voltage to generated by a microcontroller to go on and off out of 2 outputs connected to a stereo jack. He has digital sound in perhaps it's most minimal form: binary, no D to A converter, timbre only obtainable by pulse width changes and maybe his only less than total minimalist concession is he has 2 channels going so he can create stereo and counterpoint.I've not really listened to more than previews of his new 1-Bit Synphony work, again he's re-arranged similar hardware components and has had time to come up with new compositional ideas I presume. I can't preview it again right now, is he using rapid frequency changes this time? I know that's how early games achieved quasi chords via fast arpeggiation and special effects with rapid alternating changes in frequency. He does set up a dichotemy calling it a "Symphony" choosing minimal limitations and then attempting what's for all intents a classic maximal form, perhaps it's closer to 1-bit Chamber Music?