[microsound] 1 bit symphony

Sofia degli Alessandri sofiadeglia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 11:31:06 EDT 2010

I was able to attend the premiere of 1 bit symphony at Roulette, NYC last month and it was fantastic. Not only was the sound system great, which brought out aspects of the 'music' that may be missed in earphone listening, but it felt like a truly new approach to symphonic music. The performance was coupled with four monitors which (somewhat) vaguely showed the patterns being used in the piece.
I now also own the actual manufactured 1 bit symphony 'cd' and I must say it doesn't sound as grandiose as it did at the premiere but still great.

Yes the idea of 1 bit sounding music isn't necessarily a new phenomenon but I thought it is well executed, especially if you consider a broader demographic of listeners' understanding of it.