[microsound] hydrophones and methane

Michael Palace palace at guero.sr.unh.edu
Thu Nov 18 15:53:14 EST 2010

*http://www.eos.unh.edu/Spheres_1110/news_facstaff.shtml

Ruth Varner* and *Michael Palace* of CSRC were recently funded by the
U.S. Geological Survey to develop a prototype instrument to detect
ebullition or bubbling events of methane in wetland and lake ecosystems.
This novel method utilizes hydrophones (underwater microphones) to
monitor and extract this information cheaply and efficiently over long
temporal scales. Coupling these audio methods with the analysis of gas
samples will help to determine the pathway by which methane is formed
through microbial processes or methanogenesis.

I'm wondering if I get these long audio files together if people might
be interested in making a microsound project using them as source files.

Mike Palace