[microsound] max/msp on linux... better Pd then [WAS] OT: laptop for permanent sound installation - suggestions?

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Fri Nov 5 05:40:44 EDT 2010

Trond Lossius wrote:
> [cut]
> While I respect the concerns of free/libre software, I'm personally pragmatic and believe that there is room for both models. Cycling 74 seems to have found a financial and development model that serves Max and its users well, and the same seems to be the case for Pd, SuperCollider and Csound with their various links to institutional funded research and development.
Couldn't agree more! :). Please keep in mind that the discussion had
drifted to running Max/MSP on Linux, and fact is there is no such version.
> Still I believe that it would be productive for the open source movement to debate some of the fundamental terms used in their political arguments. To me, based in Europe, "freedom" seems to carry a particular value in US culture, to the extent that the idea of "freedom" is by definition "good" and escapes being questioned and critically examined within the political debate. In the past ten years this have caused "freedom" to been used rhetorically in some very problematic ways:
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002257816_sundaydomke01.html
Sincerely I don't exactly understand what point you're trying to make
here and how the link you send is relevant to the context of software
development models. In software 'free' has two meanings which are
usually widely accepted:

1. Usable without cost, usually referred as freeware.
2. Open source, involving the freedom to look at, learn, modify, adapt
etc. the source code of the software.

2. usually implies 1. but not vice-versa.
To try and stay within the software context keep in mind that open
source freedom doesn't imply "anarchy", in fact open source does use
different kinds of licenses which may be seen as a formalisations (if I
understand correctly your reasoning) of the "dependencies" you cite below.

> Concerns of "freedom" has to be balanced with an appreciation of "dependency" also being a potential positive value. In society we do depend on each others, and we ought to appreciate and nurture constructive and productive relationships and dependencies, even though it might at times limit our degree of "freedom".

In other domains "freedom" may carry other meanings and interpretations
of course, I do have my personal views about it which I'd be happy to
discus, but I it would be completely  off topic on *this* list. ;)
> Pardon for having violated mailing list etiquette by raising political issues...   ;-)
>
> Trond

Bests,
Lorenzo