[microsound] Pieces that play & "listen"

Marco Donnarumma info at thesaddj.com
Mon Jun 21 17:38:52 EDT 2010

Hi Norbert,
I worked on this kind of process in a recently renewed participative
concert.
You can find information at http://marcodonnarumma.com/works/high-spheres/.

Perhaps this work is slightly different from what you are looking for - and
surely not mature as the work of the Scratch Music Orchestra - but you could
find it interesting.

Audience produce sounds using 6 unidirectional microphones, their sounds are
thus composed together in rythmic patterns computed by generative
algorhythm. At the same time audio data of the bespoken sounds feed and
modulate five synths following again generative algorhythms.
Eventually the whole composition is spatialized - always in real-time -
through 6 loudspeakers forming a circle.
When nobody interacts with the installation, the previously
recorded/generated sounds keep on feeding the system.

Unfortunately the recording you'll find on the above page are quite old, and
it is the result of a different approach and different software.
I'll be updating soon the webpage with the new audio and visual material I
just had the chance to record at Re-New festival opening concert last May.

Best,

Marco

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Randal Davis
<randal_davis at operamail.com>wrote:

> Norbert -
>
> There are, perhaps, some problems with your terminology, but I think I know
> what you are working toward.
>
> The condition of a procedure "incorporat[ing] what has previously been
> played" would be met in a minimum condition by any system using delays.
>  Rich history here, of course, from early Pauline Oliveros and Terry Riley,
> through Fripp & Eno, and so on.  This is probably, though, not exactly what
> you mean. Note: "delay" here could refer as well to the effect or, even more
> generally, to various species of counterpoint.
>
> The condition of a procedure which "incorporates...what it is...about to
> play" would be met in a minimum condition by at least most common practice
> music, requiring only the assumption that the composer "knows" what has
> already happened.  Or, put differently, a procedure that knows the future
> does not necessarily need to "listen."  But I think this is not quite what
> you mean either.
>
> Some of the clearest examples of the interactive systems I think you are
> really most interested in are the network music of The League of Automatic
> Music Composers and The Hub, or, most recently, George Lewis' various
> experiments in this direction, notably Voyager.
>
> You might also want to alook into some of the works of Earle Brown and
> Christian Wolff (mostly their works of the 1950s), and the Scratch Music
> Orchestra, as well as John Zorn's "game pieces" for examples of complex
> interactive systems involving live performers, though not necessarily
> electronics.
>
> RD

Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher - Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net