[microsound] sound and ecology

Michael Palace palace at guero.sr.unh.edu
Tue Jul 20 12:22:31 EDT 2010

Can I suggest wandering ear?  It has lots of field recordings and I have
one up there from sounds I recorded in Amazonia.
http://www.wanderingear.com/

I have a ton of field recordings collected during work in Brazil for
ecological research.  Also my music, under the name horchata, has always
had an ecological bent.
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Horchata

Here is a short interview about one of my albums in which I discuss the
ecological nature of some of the sound design and composition.
"Acytota" involves the use of many different snippets of sounds from
field recordings, synthesizer programs, computer code and effect patches
that I have made over the past few years. I viewed these as building
blocks in development of a sound or idea of a song and only began to
place them in a compositional context for the completion of this album.

The idea of the album title and song titles can be viewed as how I
viewed these elements of the song and sounds, i.e. they are pre-life
aspects of sound and I approached the final versions of these songs a
little differently than other Horchata releases.

Two of the field recordings are unaltered, but present transparent views
of the world where and when I made those sounds. The last song uses
every one of my Horchata songs I could find. It is a series of samples
scanned over on a macrolevel and sound and frequency is made through
spinning past each of the songs and jumping around between them.

Though I like ambient, glitchcore music and academic electroacoustic
music, I rarely find them together in one song or on a release. I find
the glitchcore relies too much on rhythm, which I admire, but lack
personally, academic music needs to be digested and read about, and
ambient often is redundant and does not incorporate enough experimental
aspects.

I attempted in this recording to meld these styles. Some songs have all
three elements, some have only one, and though they may seem very
different they, speak the same dialect which is sound as a small living
organism, an entity of frequency that relies not only on itself, but
flourishes in a small microcosm of other sounds, dependant and parasitic
on large organisms.