[microsound] Electroacoustic techniques

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:22:26 EST 2010

These answers are interesting, and do suggest one possible approach,
which seems to be to let the electronic timbres grow out of the
timbres being produced by the acoustic instruments.

However, I don't seem to be able to find any concrete information on
how, for instance, I might use CSound or other software to emulate
such techniques...

CSound is itself a monster of a program to learn, so anything that
might point me towards useful techniques might be useful--I can
produce basic sounds but I'm not fully sure how to create a workflow
and actually compose with it. Creating instruments that respond to
MIDI does look somewhat promising, and I suppose I could go as far as
creating an instrument for each electronic sound I wish to create, and
simply trigger as needed.

I sometimes feel like despite all the advances done with electronic
music tools, it is extremely time consuming to do anything nontrivial,
involving many hours of set up; whereas I can write something
extremely intricate for, say, violin and piano, and get the most
incredible palette of sounds by writing a few notes on a piece of
paper. I don't understand why it should be so inherently hard to
create anything "musical" with electronic means??? I don't feel the
need to build my own piano and violin to write for piano and violin,
yet I feel like that is what I'm being required to do to compose
electronic music.

One side note, is that for the first run of things, I'm only making a
recording... so I don't need things to work in realtime per-se, they
just need to be able to be aligned with a score. I will also probably
use MIDI for the piano part, since I don't have the means to record a
proper piano right now, so that gives me some additional flexibility.
I'm hoping what I learn could eventually be extended to actual live
performances with acoustic instruments, but I don't have to get all
the way there in one leap.

I currently don't have any way to access either JSTOR to get articles,
or the scores of the works mentioned, although the Avant Garde Project
at least has Subotnick audio files, which I'm downloading this very
minute.

It is unfortunate that despite the supposed open access to information
provide by the internet, much of the good stuff is locked away and
only accessible to university students and faculty, unless one has a
fair amount of disposable income. In the last year this problem has
been hampering me more and more, to the point where I am considering
enrolling in university courses simply to afford access to research...

~David