[microsound] headphones

Robin Parmar robin at robinparmar.com
Tue Feb 9 19:09:30 EST 2010

When I bought the Grado SR225 I was able to audition them against the entire line. They were distinctly better in frequency range and fidelity than the models below them, and I even preferred the tonal balance to the more expensive SR325. The top two units in the line-up were definitely the best, but very expensive.

However, no matter what you do they are not that comfortable and are also open-back so sound leaks like crazy. Nonetheless I used them for about a decade.

However, I would instead go for the AKG K271 MKII. The supra-aural design is comfortable and they come with a choice of ear pads: leatherette or velvet. The cable is detachable and the head band comfortable. The fact you get two ear pads, two cables and a screw-on cable tip in the package makes it very good value. Isolation is good, but I have wished them to be louder when driven from portable gear. (Sensitivity is 10 dB/V lower than their cheaper K141.)

Once cool feature: when you take the headphones off your head the audio is muted! This is great in studios to prevent spill and wonderful on location, as you can then hear your surroundings unhindered.

The frequency response is 16Hz-28KHz in case that means anything. The Grados sound "better", but unless you compare back to back you would never notice. FWIW, I no longer bother listening to the Grados.

The K271 are better value in the EU where pricing is €145. They are $270 in the USA and do not get discounted like other brands (last time I checked).

And you can say you have gear made in Austria. :-)

For day-to-day use I have the Sennheiser PX100 which are cheap, portable, comfortable and fold up small. Despite this they are quite robust and sound decent. All this for 50 bucks. Do not confuse them with any other low-end Sennheiser model as the rest are junk.

-- robin