[microsound] musical structure

Korhan Erel listekutusu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:34:13 EDT 2009

My principles in digital instrument design on the laptop:

- No random processes - everything is determined by the instrument
player
- No long delays or reverbs that keep on processing the sound even
after the player has stopped playing. Instrument makes sound when
triggered and stops when the trigger (nowadays either a Wiimote or an
iPod Touch running TouchOSC)
- No wide frequency ranges - every instrument can play only a certain
range of frequencies at any given time - the total range may be wide,
but you don't hear the full sound spectrum at the same time
- The instrument does not require looking at the laptop screen - the
player may look at it from time to time, just like a guitar player
looking at the fretboard occasionally, but the instrument's
playability should not depend on the player focusing on the screen all
the time

Since I play almost exclusively with other musicians, most of them
being acoustic instrumentalists, these principles allow me to play
with them, to create space for them, to remain silent whenever I feel
it's necessary....

My sound sources are usually samples (own sound designs, location
recordings, recordings from my analog setup) being scanned LiSa-like
(using Live's Simpler instrument). There may or may not be some
processing of these sounds, usually the processing is nothing more
than playback speed change and a slight touch of reverb.

Korhan