[microsound] musical structure

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:48:29 EDT 2009

Sorry, that's not clear from my post, but you should be able to
theorize about different particular musical theories, such as Western
musical theory, Indian classical music theory, or jazz theory, with
such a theory.

But what I offered was not the actual theory, only some of the
necessary elements such a theory might require, that seem relevant to
the question of describing musical structure.

Such an account would probably also need to take into account social
ecology and neuroscientific accounts of how the brain works.

All I'm basically aiming at is whether it is possible to talk about
diverse musical structures from different traditions using some more
comprehensive language than the language of traditional musical
theories which tend to only describe the set of musical practices of a
single culture or subculture.

~David