[microsound] musical structure

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:38:35 EDT 2009

More thoughts on musical structure--if I was to create a meta-theory
of music, I would include the following elements:

*cell: any single sonic idea that is used as the basis of a work (such
as a melody, harmony, rhythm, digital sample)
*permutation: repetition with difference of a cell
*transition: a gradual shift from one musical element to another
*rhythm: linear, cyclic, or aperiodic distribution of events in time
*tone: cyclic vibration with frequency, duration, timbre, amplitude
*harmony: simultaneous tones
*melody: sequence of tones
*noise: a-periodic vibration with duration, timbre, and amplitude
*texture: the overall consistency of a stable sound-object
*plateau: consistent, repetitive sound structure
*constraint: a set of (mathematical) rules that govern a musical
structure, such as a Raga, a chord progression, serial procedure, or
aleatoric procedure
*slope: a gradual transition from one plateau to another
*event: sound-object that is perceived as being unique and whose
arrival cannot be predicted by the listener
*signifier: sound-object that seems to refer to some signified which
may or may not be musical

~David Powers