[microsound] musical structure

Andrew Salch asalch at math.jhu.edu
Tue Sep 15 10:48:17 EDT 2009

By "structure" do you mean something that inheres in the work and is
immediately detectable in it, e.g. compositional structure, or do you also
include the entire means of production of the work--"structures" of
production which can nevertheless fail to be detectable in the finished
recorded work or in the performed piece as experienced by its audience?
For example, the actual physical location at which a field recording was
taken may not be recognizable or recoverable from the recording; is that
particular physical location part of the "structure" used in creating the
work?

Sorry for the nitpicking--but I think this question of the types of
structures in music is an interesting one.