[microsound] musical structure

Batuhan Bozkurt batuhan at batuhanbozkurt.com
Tue Sep 15 09:21:06 EDT 2009

I'm not a very experienced live coder myself, but the on-stage live
coding has its own structural aesthetics especially if one wants to
project his/her screen to some place for the (possibly non-programmer)
audience to intellectually participate/consciously witness to the
creation of the musical performance. Things usually start from very
simple timbres and structural events to gradually more complex (so
there is an increase in entropy in the musical/temporal events and the
timbral quality) and since this is still quite a new field, the
performances I've seen tend to follow the same pattern and not many
groundbreaking differences in structure happen in between different
performances and/or performers.

Towards the end of the piece/performance, usually either the entropy
decreases in the same manner or some sort of fading out trickery is
involved (endings feel usually abrubt). I think this monotony in
structure for live coding events is there because there aren't many
virtuosic attempts on creating a really appealing live coding
performance (which is also a valid attitude I think, but then some
feel they'll be blamed less because they are trying something really
extreme, an attitude I won't support), and the tools and the concept
is quite new to performers and the audience. Maybe things will get
more interesting at least varied when the computing culture rises
among artists and listeners.

I am not much into beat oriented stuff, but I find this live coding
performance interesting and inspiring nonetheless (even though for
some part it follows the same route I've explained earlier
structurally, it also tries to alter the old habits in a nice way): http://yaxu.org/haskell-hack/

Best,
Batuhan Bozkurt
/* http://www.earslap.com */