[microsound] Bach and mathematics

Andrew Salch asalch at math.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 5 08:57:25 EDT 2009

I'm glad somebody has already posted a link to Dave Benson's excellent
book.

It seems to be standard to mention the attempts of Cage and Xenakis to use
some stochastic methods in their compositions. Of course there is a good
deal of mathematics used in composition both before and after (and
during/in between) those two; for example, a good deal of mathematics is
necessary to understand serial music, probably most especially in Webern's
work.

Tom Fiore maintains a page here:

http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~fiore/1/music.html

...with links to some interesing papers on music and mathematics. There's
a little bit of discussion of Bach in the "Musical actions of dihedral
groups" paper. Looking up the papers cited in those papers will get you
even deeper into the subject; a fair bit has already been written about
mathematical music theory.