[microsound] registering volume modulation

Renato Fabbri renato.fabbri at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:27:24 EST 2009

Hi Microsound List,

I am trying to learn what is the common way to register an audio
waveform's intensity or volume modulation. As far as I can guess, the
main issues are:

1) What are reasonable chunk sizes (in miliseconds i assume)? And what
overlapping fraction is used?
and
2) What kind of measures are used for this chunks. (RMS/Peak)

I found nothing. It would be great to know about it in a general case,
but the specific case is for voice analysis.

Does anyone knows how is this done or where can i find this?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
rf