[microsound] any interest in participating in a research project?

Samuel van ransbeeck thinksamuel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 07:51:29 EST 2009

Hello

As a student of composition, I always felt a lack of a method for algorithmic composition. For counterpoint and harmony, there are treatises and structured methods but for the 20th century idiom with all its facets, there is no structured pedagogical means for students to learn about algorithmic composition. I would like to write a method book to allow students to learn about algorithmic composition, giving them information and i the end of each chapter some exercises. It would be like the book of Straus about posttonal theory, only it will focus on algorithmic methods.

I have spoken to my professor about this but he told me I need a rather large group of people to test my texts and exercises on. My question now is: Are there people from the microsound mailing list interested in participating in such a research. I would write a chapter and exercises, share them with you and letting you write small exercises and then collecting and comparing the results of each exercise. This would be like one year. What is in it for you: eternal glory and I will try to record as many compositions possible to include in a CD.

Let me know what you think
Samuel