[microsound] Someones finally said it

Manannan Mac Lir macdara at email.com
Thu May 14 05:21:48 EDT 2009

At the end of a day long symposium on "energy and sustainability"
yesterday a round table discussion was held with all 6 speakers, 1
architect, 2 engineers, 2 scientists and a writer. The final question to
the panel was what their hopes were for humanity given all the current
blah, the first guy said as long as we kept "crunching the numbers" we
could successfully avoid total collapse, I can't help think that writers
like philip k. dick were trying to prepare us for something, the second
guy started off normal but turned sharply, he's been writing books and
designing ecologically sensitive buildings for 40 years and he said he's
lost more hope the older he's gotten, "I've lived through 3 energy crises
and two economic meltdowns and nothing has changed" were close to his
exact words, at this point he started to get visibly emotional and talked
about the fact that now people are just making it worse by "eco-bling" as
he calls it. Why the fuck aren't we getting the point? To see the pain
sadness and fear in a man in his late 60's (i think) was the first time
I've seen anyone publicly express the genuine vortex we are in as a whole
(at least in ireland and britain although  i think everything, similarly
to the berlin wall, will , melt into air like our financial markets have
without the banging we're used to the media ensuring us of), there's a
thing george benjamin (possibly) said, it would come to the point where
humanity would become so detached that it would witness it's own
destruction without even wanting or being capable of reacting, like
through a pane of glass. The air outside my door is dirty because of the
pollutants machines spew into the atmosphere, an exhaust pipe is given
pride of place over my lungs, legally too, what happens if i smash a cars
lungs up? im not a great believer in primitivism but government has not
governed. where do we go? little bit's, paper bags instead of plastic,
cleaner washing up liquid... this is what we're being given, culturally i
think there's been a huge response, in subtle but fundamental ways
obviously not in mainstream. our society is in a state of collective
denial before it's mass monetary hallucinations finally begin to
contaminate its blood, perverting the inside before total disintegration,
we don't have guns over here but you can be damn sure someone's gonna get
them. trying to get a sense of joy about the future is impossible, the
only thing i can do is try and accelerate the immanent disintegration,
politically, socially whatever.. sorry for a pessimistic rant but its
only through talkin about it that people understand, haved to say itd be
nice to SEE some microdudes some time, optimism is the smile il get on my
face when the corporate capitalist detritus has been purged from the
immune system of the planet, probably taking a larger chunk of us with it
anyway, free market cannibalism, who knows, could be the next economic
model for all of us...still smiling tho, maybe we can eat our friends
Mananann Mac Lirmacdara o maolbhuaidh

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses