[microsound] diffusion as an art-form

Damian Stewart damian.ml at frey.co.nz
Sat Jun 13 09:33:45 EDT 2009

 > Randolph Jordan wrote:
 >> greg g wrote:
>> i'd rather just listen to it at home
> One of the key reasons why concerts of pre-recorded music are presented
> in public is so that the music can be heard from a better source, on a
> better sound system, and in a better space than most of us have access
> to at home.

this makes the interesting assumption that better sound system == better
music.

i'm not sure about that. one of my issues with the academic 'system' (i
speak from my point of reference, which is the Birmingham school of
compositional ideas to which my university subscribed) is a requirement
that the gear be top-notch, that all the DACs/ADCs be totally noise free,
that the monitor speakers in the studio be $50k beasts, all in the pursuit
of making the technology as transparent (== colourless) as possible,
therefore allowing the music its fullest expression.

i think this is bollocks, and symptomatic of an important disconnect
between laptop music and non-laptop music (laptop improv/noise, where the
laptop is treated like a fancy guitar pedal in a more traditional feedback
loop, is another matter) -- namely, laptop music is all about the 'sound',
which really doesn't matter so much in most other forms of music. the
people who do well playing laptop (
http://evolvingmusic.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/girl-talk.jpg )
acknowledge the social aspect...

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz