[microsound] diffusion as an art-form

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Fri Jun 12 15:19:07 EDT 2009

> Playback and diffusion are very different things and should not be
> conflated.  Diffusing a recorded piece is a real-time performance in
> its own right.  In the concerts of electroacoustic music that I have
> attended, the diffusers are given credit and applause for their work,
> essentially treated as musicians partially responsible for realizing a
> composer's work.
sorry for hijacking your thread but I really liked your description of
diffusion

what amazes me is how many people in the various arts (dance, film, etc)
have no knowledge of the 'art of diffusion'...

I recently ran into a situation where the person I was collaborating
with (I use the term 'collaborating' very loosely here) had no clue as
to what I was talking about when I explained the difference between
composing an electro-acoustic work and then diffusing it in public and
how they were separate art-forms that intersected but were still
distinct from one another

it was very frustrating to work with someone who thinks computer music
is composed with a push of a few buttons and easily changed/modified
during a performance...

there ought to be a law...