[microsound] Should musicians names appear on the anouncement? What about the name of the computer?

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Fri Jun 12 12:59:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Samuel van ransbeeck wrote:

> with the class of composition we are doing a recital where we will have
> our pieces played. In the draft for the anouncement we did not put the
> name of the ensemble. For me this is not a problem , as I see it as a
> project of the composition class, the instrument students just do their
> chamber music. On the other hand, the other students (and the professor)
> want to include the name of the ensemble on the anouncement. However,
> there are two pure electronic pieces. Shouldn't we ten write also the
> name of the performing computer eg 'iMac core2duo'? After all, the
> computer is a performer as well.
> What are your thoughts about this?

I would list the name of the person who did the programming or other
setup of the electronic piece on the computer as the performer or
composer of that piece. I would consider the hardware or software to be
listed, if at all, as an instrument. I would only list the computer as a
performer if it is sentient (for example "HAL 9000, original composition").

best,
Steve Burnett Subscape Annex http://www.subscapeannex.com