[microsound] puff 'n stuff

Bill Jarboe billjarboe at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 13 13:20:21 EDT 2009

I like Pauline's idea of a sound lasting ten years.

  One easy way to accomplish this might be taking a sound which lasts
100,000 years and time-scaling it 1/10.000th of its original length.

  Another solution lies in finding some creature or process which is
likely to last another ten years and simply following them around
with a microphone and converting the audible results to a low bit-
rate mp3 (-sure this has been attempted before , drastically enough?).

Another aspect of the idea i find most cool is the comparison to an
eternal flame ; brings to mind the auto de fé , and not only that: i
was reading a mystery story by an obscure french author concerning a
recalcitrant jew who refused to yield to an inquisitor in spain , yet
that has nothing to do with the subject , does it?

   ( if you're really interested in the story , contact me and i'll
find it for you; don't wish to describe texts for those who aren't
interested.)

  Elaborating on the idea of time condensation however , opposed to
time condescending ; what sound could you actually tolerate listening
to for ten years? I'm thinking of the evolution of human beings
taking 100, 000 years ( in the broadest sense) and the condensation
corresponding to one's musical output over the last ten years, to be
'sunk living into the horror of one's existence'  to rather crudely
quote some symbolist poet; Tristan Corbiere perhaps?

  What i was producing ten years  ago sounds pretty damn good to my
unclogged (uncle -logged?) ears , and i could certainly tolerate
listening to that one member of lappetites , Eliane Radigue perhaps?
-for that time span

http://www.lappetites.com/

Maybe it's just that i think of her works expressing  long
durations , slow evolutions , stasis and renewals.

____

  In trying to wrap my mind around such a concept , thought of the
sound of human evolution , or at least a model based on my
understanding of human evolution. -considered using some sort of
species which evolves and eventually dies away over the course of
100,000 years , perhaps a strain of fly.

  That didn't interest me too much , and I wasn't any closer to
finding sound. -thought of the big bang(from a human understanding)
since most probably know what it is.  -looked for a bang and decided
upon a smash from a snare drum ,

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/712761122/53603c12e80a3b59dbf8462660195544

this was converted to midi (midi-like?) data with the aubio note
tracker and played with quicktime piano. The result was slowed down
as much as possible then exported . The new .mid file was imported
then slowed down once more.

  The result is a rather liberal interpretation of an expansion.

https://download.yousendit.com/dVlwUXVnYTI5bEFLSkE9PQ

  My main concerns are: I don't know if I'm making a midi file or a
sound-file and, I'm a bit concerned over the large spaces or
silences , effective as they are. Perhaps people's reactions ,
humanity in general could serve to fill in the gaps , prolong the sound.

   (perhaps humanity in specific)

  -next step then is taking the lengthy sound-file , a realization of
the expanded midi data , and playing that to the original snare drum;
recording the result. For reasons of practicality I confined this
stage to half an hour.

   The result of this endeavor is then pro-genitive of new midi data,
in turn converted to sound.

  The silences aren't disturbing me as much

  There are enough of them to give a break now and then , it doesn't
sound like something mechanised which goes on and on and on ( a
common criticism of modern composition in books).

  I'm hearing some voices in the background.

   What is next?

   The same midi file is stretched as far as I am able and work on
dynamics and arpeggiation.

    This is sounding ok. now , rather bridging the ultra-modern and
the early classical for me...

  Oh, dear. I'm lying already. I could have extended this to a much
longer duration. What I have now is the main notes of the beginning
much farther apart and the duration of the piece corresponds to the
realtime length of the file.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/712786344/a62925dc402c05ec0c6fea349158ed5e

  Not to worry - the program is rejoined awhile later and subjected
to slight spectral modifications, frequency inversion and even
frequency selective time shifts.

  It looks rather like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZreWk6gxtO8rrb7c8SciAg?
feat=directlink

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/712790314/a5c184f9629c35347d15c55a6f3f95fd

   The same source audio-file was subjected to reverse order wavelet
transformation.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/712793314/1967eab0eb064961a9255431d5d0d461