[microsound] 'that's edutainment'

guiver ben benreviug at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 16:45:32 EST 2009

well maybe the course i was on was a bit boring. maybe i was young and a bit all over the place. i got much more excited by my guitar and mixing records, and the possibilities afforded by decks. and drum machines, and pedals...and like i said earlier, i was being a bit gobshitey...

i also found it hard being in an environment where, like the article Kim ref'd, people were a bit blinkered in some ways. i played at a gig in a curch my mate organised - it sold out in a day - and his art tutor was pretty condeming of the 'fake art', as he saw it, within the venue. i mean it wasnt like basquiat, or renior, or that sort of thing, but his relfex action was to reject, and write off, immediately, as a sort of defence.

i think once you say 'politics' instead of POLITICS it becomes much more relevant and meaningful. i have the 'politics of noise' book though i have not yet had the time or motivation to read it fully. other commitments, etc etc

i think what you say is interesting as once you get to politics it becomes more a study of relationships, like once you get away from psychoanalytic dogma and ritual psychoanalysis becomes a useful and interesting way to study the politics / relationships of different aspects of the mind/personality. but some people take to politics or psychoanalysis like religion, they want something defining and concrete, and i dont think the world is like that.

POLITICS per say, well, i'm sceptical, i think it can become like religion, dogmatic and unthinking, also impersonal and wooden. with rather lethal consequences also, politics probably ranks with religion as a killer i think.

perhaps when you refer to

“politics is the sphere neither of an end in itself nor
> of means
> subordinated to an end; rather, it is the sphere of a pure
> mediality
> without end intended as the field of human action and of
> human thought”

you might be talking about something nearer philosophy. i dont mean to split hairs, but certainly in england when people say politics a lot of people i know, including myself, dive for cover. they dont want to get involved in something crude and which is often a displacement activity / acting out for, or of, unthought / unconscious thoughts and feelings. its sad, as there's a lot fo power there, but anyway i dont think this thread is so much about that sort fo politics, but what i am saying is that it's easy to end up in that position in other mediums.

thats why i ref'd hunter s thompson, as he seemed to have a way of making things very engaging without drying them out or making them boring at all. maybe thats a bit of an idealistic position, although i once attended several seminars on boredom at the philedlphia assocation's introductory course in psychoanalytic psychotherapy, with john heaton as the lecturer, and they were fascinating. i guess personality is as much of a factor as anything else in the animation of a subject: a difference/ balance(ing act) between what you know and who you are. i am aware of this dynamic in myself, and how easy it is to end up being a talking dictionary, and the pleasures of avoiding this with a more real engagement.

liking your site (sirr-ecords.com), btw.

ben