[microsound] Moles/Debord

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Tue Jan 20 17:14:12 EST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:14:29 +0000, Owen Green wrote:
> I don't know if you've read any Abraham Moles, but the ease with which
> his info-theory based aesthetics (from the 60s) argued itself into
> providing a purportedly natural basis for the musical hierarchies of
> labour as they stood at the time should be grounds for immediate
> suspicion :)

Well, the Situationists threw tomatoes at Moles during his inaugural
lecture at Strasbourg in 1966:

<http://www.notbored.org/debord-27October1966.html>

Debord's critique of Moles had appeared as an open letter in
Internationale Situationiste no. 9, August 1964:

<http://debordiana.chez.com/francais/is9.htm#correspondance>

(I don't think this has been xlated into English.)

Best, C