[microsound] 'that's edutainment'

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Tue Jan 20 16:07:48 EST 2009

Jason Wehmhoener wrote:

> Theory and 'isms, as well as less complex forms of communication, can
> often be a form of shared shorthand. This can make communication between
> a small number of people more efficient in some settings, but when you
> start looking at communicating with a networked world where individual
> frames of reference can have wide variance, it is often helpful to
> simplify and de-jargonize our language, and focus on descriptive terms
> that are easy to relate to because they directly reference the
> experience of our senses.
>
> Am I making any sense?

yes, much. i'm totally with youn on the 'shorthand' idea. although i think
your 'individual frames of reference' apply equally in the real world as
well. especially when discussing more recent theory, it seems that not
having a shared understanding is part-and-parcel of understanding a
particular author (i'm thinking of Deleuze here).

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz