[microsound] gaza drone

greg g time4cookies at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:56:56 EST 2009

> where to find a platform that> hasn't been leached of its ability to transmit messages without being> delivered coated in 'cartoon-sugar' on its way to the receiver (sorry for> invoking this communications model - especially after pointing out that it> is woefully inaccurate and simplistic)
the internet probably doesn't qualify.  part of running a "free" but controlled democracy involves commodifying all threatening forms of media, art, and communication, and would-be artists basically pacify themselves, no overt oppression required.  it's frustrating as everyone spouts opinions without any real firsthand experience.  i agree with kim's earlier insightful message about technology.  how to even begin?  sometimes daily life is such a bog, it's nearly impossible to overcome that to even consider some type of true connection or difference halfway around the world, things are too isolated where it matters and too attached where it's already been milked of meaning (namely, technology-based communication), and i'm sure this current status quo is ideal for anyone with a hand in western neo-imperialistic interests.  we're all guilty of this by accepting the technological disconnect lifestyle.  any advance in society must be sold to the public as a disgusting commodity and business strategy the way the "green" movement has been--even if it's for the good, it's just too ineffectual in the long run, only people taking it to heart for its own good, i would argue, will be able to create true change, something commodification doesn't do, and there doesn't seem to be any alternative platform for fostering change en masse besides this approach.  as artists, we have a duty to present our work using non-commodified mediums to foster alternate approaches to dispersing real social change, and myspace isn't one of them, i'm sorry to say.  nobody has successfully subverted it the way earlier post-digital mediums have been.

a positive note, i really appreciate the morbid soundfields from iraq.  excellent work.  i suppose some might argue that the internet, via video, etc, makes the war palpable in the way television did for vietnam, but clearly there isn't the same backlash going on in the last eight years that happened then--of those, that generation became a commodity and self-parody shortly after that achievement, and it's possible that that type of rebellion isn't feasible any longer.  creativity must evolve, and medium is part of that evolution, youtube and myspace aren't going to cut it.  i'm also excited about eno's earlier op-ed piece.