[microsound] Favorite Writings on Ambient Music?

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Thu Feb 26 14:06:53 EST 2009

greets!  (after a day of travel and doing field recordings....)...  BTW,
I'm not sure if I had announced an open participatory project here that
a good friend is running -- aporee maps...  for locative sound work.
http://aporee.org/maps/  I'd be interested in feedback.  I am
participating under the name "neoscenes" if you do a search in the
database...

but on the writings on ambient front, I would recommend a writer who I
discovered 25 years ago, the recent French Nobel winner, Jean Marie
Gustave LeClezio.  Hi fiction works (mostly out of print in English
translation, but a few newer ones are around since the Nobel award,
surely older ones will be reissued soon) -- given the term ambient, his
writing is a deep exploration of the ambience of what would be to most a
non-descript place.  hard to describe, but his works are atmospheric in
a microscopic way....

The Book of Flights is my favorite (being a nomad), but The Giants, and
The Flood are also excellent ...

jh