[microsound] Scales of sound

Bill Jarboe billjarboe at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 02:22:58 EST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Manannan Mac Lir wrote:

> I was more referring to scales of acoustics in the sense of working
> with micro "grains" and macro "tones" in terms of whether people
> saw sound in different scales of size as opposed to harmonic and
> melodic sequences, I wasn't very about that clear in my last e-
> mail, apologies.

     Hi,

       To tell the truth : at first I thought it was a rather
ridiculous request. After a bit of thought ( not dsd , just a bit of
thought) and when coupled with practical experience it made some sense.

       No textual , or textural answer of my own . I recall being
inspired by reading Karlheinz Stockhausen's 'Towards a Cosmic
Music' . If you're keen on Stockhausen , it's a good read , and if
you aren't keen on Stockhausen you might like him alot more after
looking at the book.

      Amazon.com looked rather pricey ( 91 $ and something for a
paperback) so I found these:

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Towards_a_Cosmic_Music/1852300841/

http://www.word-power.co.uk/books/towards-a-cosmic-music-I9781852300845/

    I think you're bang on target thinking about the macro and the
micro. Recently I've found some of the most grandiose ideas turn out
to be quite simple, and inconsequential ; or almost inconsequential
appearances to have massive implications . Don't worry( about me)
though , there's lots of in-between .

    Good luck and all that

                                                          Bill