[microsound] post-laptop era?

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:21:32 EST 2009

1. On my choice of artists

You should note, I never picked any one style. I do mention classical
and experimental music, which certainly covers Stravinsky, Shoenberg,
Cage, and Xenakis. Kraftwerk, Zappa, and Autechre are all worth
listening to as well, they just don't happen to be influences that
touch me as deeply on a personal level. My example was John Coltrane,
who recorded "My Favorite Things" in 1961. Is he not as worthy of
mention as the composers you mention? (If I was going to be harsh, I
would ask, who is elitist when you mention all people of white
European descent and totally ignore the great 20th century innovations
of Afro-Americans in music?)

2. On "coherence" (admittedly an ambiguous term, in retrospect)

By the way, your argument about coherence is problematic; I don't
think you understand what I mean. Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Cage,
Xenakis, Kraftwerk, Zappa, and Autechre all develop their music in a
coherent way. They take it seriously, and they see the consequences of
what they are doing, and their art progresses over time. So how is
coherence limiting to them?

What is limiting, is when people just string a bunch of sounds
together for no reason and call it a piece. Unless they happen to be
blessed with unusual genius, it is precisely this which is limiting:
since there is no reason for one sound to follow another, there is no
ability to evaluate whether the piece is a success, nor is there any
reason to try things one way instead of another. In short, some kind
of internal coherence is necessary for sustained coherence: even if
the result of this inner coherence seems incoherent itself (one might
say that Cage blends coherence and incoherence in an interesting
way)!!!

Your reference to story telling also confuses me. Of course stories do
not need to be "told in a coherent way." But that doesn't mean an
author shouldn't follow some type of procedure that is itself
coherent. I never said the results have to be "transparent" or simple
or understandable to common sense. Is Finnegans Wake coherent?
Definitely, but it is not in any way easy to read or understand. Its
coherence resides in its inner structure and the procedures used to
create it.

It is the outwardly "coherent" pop songs of today, that are the least
coherent in their internal structure, after all.

What I have a problem with is the cut-and-paste pastiche, where
everything goes with everything else, and where there is no reason why
one sound should follow another. Imagine a music producer in the
studio whose conversation is something like this: "Okay, let's put a
sample of a sitar on top to make it sound exotic. Then, lets put the
voice through auto-tune, cus it really worked for Kanye. Hmmm, let's
put some weird glitch effect here cus glitch is cool right now. And
let's use an 808, cus that sound is so classic, the kids love it."

And sorry, for my "stereotyped" idea of digital music, I'm looking at
the records that are selling on Beatport and that DJ's around here
play, and listening to some of the things I hear passing for
exmperimental. I'm not at all saying that there aren't great musicians
out there. It's just that, I don't know who they are or how to hear
them, and they certainly aren't that easy to find.

3. On elitism, relativism, and democracy in art

First of all, being elitist is no crime. We need more elitism, if by
elitism you mean making aesthetic and ethical value judgments,
challenging the mainstream ideological discourses, and asserting the
possibility of experiencing a real freedom. Elitism is always the
defense of relativist postmodernism, which itself is just the ideology
of the marketplace where freedom means freedom to choose a brand of
soap and where everything is equal only because everything is offered
up for sale.

As far as computers allowing everyone to make music, well, everybody
can already make music. If you have a voice or hands, you can make
music. You don't need a computer for that! Or a melodica, for
instance, costs only $35 at the nearby store, it is an easy instrument
to learn, and far cheaper than a computer.

Why do you believe that only with computers is there a trend for
"everybody to make music"? Isn't it true that people have been making
music together for thousands of years?

Why is a computer more liberating than the ability to sing or play an
instrument? I would argue that technological advances absolutely
CANNOT and WILL NOT liberate on their own. The ear is the fundamental
instrument, without the ability to perceive, the discipline to learn
from what you hear, and the awareness of human freedom to create,
technology does nothing to liberate individuals to be artists. Not
only that, but digital technology tends to make people less and less
aware of their vibrations as they become physically removed from the
sound and become less sensitized to the actual vibrations their
actions are creating.

Take the example of poetry. Does the fact that everyone can speak make
everyone a poet? Anyone can come up with a rhyme, but creating
something that is moving or profound or meaningful takes discipline,
persistence, courage, and hard work. Even something as simple as
telling a joke well is not something that everyone can do.

Finally, This has nothing to do with "schooled" versus "unschooled." I
dropped out of college, am about 95% self taught in the area of music,
and was already happily making music before I get to college. But
being unschooled is no excuse for not learning from the past and
applying those lessons to the present.

Why are people so afraid of learning from our past? What is the
resistance to learning from the great traditions of music? Shouldn't
everyone who aspires to make music WANT to learn as much about it as
they can, in order to make the greatest impact in our limited time on
this planet?

~David