[microsound] post-laptop era?

isjtar list at isjtar.org
Tue Dec 15 17:06:01 EST 2009

as I mentioned before, i'd rather have specialized devices, computers.
because for me the problem is not so much the audience, there's no real
difference between a laptop or music hardware performance for a public.
i also don't think laptops are bad tools.
but for me a problem is that they are general purpose and not specific
to music or visuals.
this means that when working on a piece (from a compositional or
instrumental point of view) the general purpose aspect distracts me from
music.
for example i spend time on wikipedia instead of coding for example.
if i would load my supercollider or pd patches in a dedicated machine,
i'd free myself of much of that. and while i'm at it,
keyboard-screen-mouse is only ideal for live coding. for all other
situations i'd rather have a different interface.
therefore, to make a nice embedded machine which i can program to serve
my needs seems so very nice.
you'd still have the advantages of a laptop: portable, custom code, osc
communication
but not the burden of everyday activities popping up all the time.