[microsound] Fwd: [jazz-research] Rashied Ali, R.I.P.

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Thu Aug 13 09:45:31 EDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 13, 2009 8:58:31 AM EDT
Subject: Re: [jazz-research] Rashied Ali, R.I.P.

I received this email from drummer Ronnie Burrage this morning.

================
Please pass on the information that my good friend the great Rashid
Ali passed yesterday.

He suffered a mild heart attack last Thursday, was scheduled for
release yesterday. He got dressed as his wife and brother waited for
him, said he had to use the restroom before leaving went in the
bathroom and never came out.

I had the pleasure of working and jamming extensively with Rashid
during the 1980s. He was a great drummer who could express himself in
a wide variety of musical styles and situations. He was generous to
those situations and to up-and-coming musicians. He also dedicated
himself to creating situations where musicians could be true to their
artistic vision, which, of course, is about constant exploration.

Long Live Rashid Ali!

-Ratzo Harris