[microsound] Zoom H4 tech query -- anybody else?

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Fri Apr 10 16:25:41 EDT 2009

> this is well documented H4 glitch - there was a lot of talk ablut it on
> various forums.
> what you hear comes from LED that flashes when recording. it happens only
> when using battery, not with power supply.
>
> if i remember well an easy fix was using 96khz setting. the LED stays on all
> the time, and there is no glitch.

thanks Klif -- I'll test that out -- it sounds totally correct as the
LED flashes around 3-sec intervals.  Interesting design problem for the
engineers -- and one that I am surprised that they missed.  I didn't
find it on the forums that I checked.

I just got back from the desert where there was much silence but plenty
of F/A-18 dog fighting (from Luke AFB in Tucson) going on in the skies
above, talk about dynamic range!  And the rattlesnake rattles were
probably ruined by wind noise.  Didn't want to get any closer and didn't
have a boom!

Cheers,
John