[microsound-announce] [framework radio] #765: 2021.07.11

. m u r m e r . murmer at murmerings.com
Mon Jul 12 05:08:30 EDT 2021

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

framework radio
phonography ::: field recording ::: the art of sound-hunting
open your ears and listen!

::   https://frameworkradio.net
::   https://patreon.com/frameworkradio
::   https://facebook.com/frameworkradio
::   https://frameworkeditions.bandcamp.com

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

#765: 2021.07.11
listen to this edition here:
https://frameworkradio.net/2021/07/765-2021-07-11/

patreon campaign progress report:
108 patrons (up from 107)
62% towards our goal (up from 52%)
want to help? http://www.patreon.com/frameworkradio

this edition of framework:afield has been produced by uni.Sol_, curated
by slavek kwi, and features contributions by david rothenberg, stephen
bradley, david michael, and wilbur bewley. producer's, and cicada's
notes (this is a long one):

----------

a new emission by uni.Sol_:
magi-cicada17-mania: sing))*fly*[mate]*(die!

cicadian:

phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaaaaaarraoooooooh tshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh mch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch
ch ch ch ch swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh tshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou
tshtke-EHHHHHHH- ou mch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch ch swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh

translation:

Magicicada septendecim, M. cassini, M. septendecula featuring Homo
sapiens sonoris:

David Rothenberg, Stephen Bradley, David Michael, Wilbur Bewley (USA),
Slavek Kwi & teenage students* from Scariff Community College in Ireland
and uni.Sol_community worldwide.

cicadian:

phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs
phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh
phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh tshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou
tshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou
tshtke-EHHHHHHH-outshtke-EHHHHHHH-outshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou tshtke-
EHHHHHHH-ou chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh

translation:

Constructed by Ministry of Sounds (of uni.Sol_) from macro-segments
recorded and provided by Stephen Bradley and David Michael (both 14 min
of duration, recorded in Maryland), played and recorded by David
Rothenberg (2 sequences of 7 min, one with Peter Bouteneff in New
Jersey, one solo in Maryland), segment recorded by Wilbur Bewley in
Indiana and this, whole sound-organism sprinkled with fragments of
voices extracted strategically from CBC interview with David Rothenberg,
during uni.Sol_50 session and recordings during a 1VOICES radio-project
by Slavek Kwi made with students* from Scariff College, Ireland. One
voice for all is One in plural form.

* Slavek Kwi has been Artist in Schools Residency with Scariff Community
College and has been kindly supported by The Clare County Council in
tandem with the Arts Council of Ireland. Many thanks to Mrs. Shulagh
Colleran and participating TY students: Grace Guilfoyle, Megan Kilkenny,
Maeve McCaul, Roisin Collins, Sarah Dooley, Fiona O'Brien, Laobhaise
O'Donnell, Mark O'Halloran and Owen Drost for all their enthousiasm to
make a Cicada Party happen across spheres despite distant location ...

cicadian:

chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh
chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh
crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhhswiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhhswiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs

translation:

Notebooknotes by David Michael:
I was preparing for the emergence of The Great Eastern Brood for a
couple of months. Mentally at least. I knew it was coming - we all did -
for years. We just didn't know the exact dates that the brood would
start their chorus. Like any good song, our expectations were thwarted -
but just a little bit. A call from a car dealership to synchronize.
Dates planned a week too early. Slowly at first, but then with growing
intensity and it was time to drive south to Owings Mills and then to
Patapsco. The woman at the hotel was intrigued at our conviction that
this event was a deep source of pride for Baltimore and told me to watch
out for them falling from the trees. They did. It was wonderful. Looking
at the Patapsco maps I somehow picked almost the exact spot Steven was
working in. A small sports field ringed by disc golf target just up from
the river. The cicadas had picked this spot as well. In great numbers.

The cicada's delay was well timed with David's travel plans.
Jean-Jacques appeared with a Bolex to film. A small aggregation of
keensters had spontaneously converged to conspire with the cicadas to
disrupt disc golf and no-one seemed to notice. In hindsight the session
was really just one gloriously sunburned exceedingly hot day. We
recorded and listened. David performed and Jean-Jacques filmed. Steven
and I recorded, connecting Slavek over the ether**. The chorus so loud
and persistent like it had always been there and would never end ***.

** you may listen to whole uni.Sol_ session (including synchronised
recording by Stephen from this location) mixed from remote perspective
of Slavek Kwi from Ireland (as this event was synchronized by SMS, it
should be presented as Telepathic Ensemble):
www.unisol.bandcamo.com/album/cicadas-event-4

*** and to beautiful album of David Michael (within this framework radio
piece is mixed SYNOPSIS of this album):
https://davidmichael.bandcamp.com/album/brood-x-patapsco-river-valley

cicadian:

phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh mch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch mCH
mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch mCH mCH
mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chchh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh

translation:

Mutation by Stephen Bradley:
My immersive experience these past six weeks with the BROOD X, 17-cicada
2021 phenomena resonate deeply with my molecules, imprinting them
sonically. For two of the six weeks of the above ground cicada presence,
my wife and I rented a cabin not far from where we live to fully
experience the BROOD with minimal human noise, and wooded park traffic.
The experience constructs a metaphor for COVID re- emergence from 17+
months of quarantine and isolation. The only signs of the BROOD X are
located high among the tops of trees – copper-colored leaves attached to
evenly spaced out “tree flags” hang down waiting for the vast drop to
earth. Another 17-years life cycle has begun; a bio-rain of tiny cicada
nymphs hatched and soar down to burrow into their +-47,000-year-old
depths beneath the world. sbradley at umbc.edu

Stephen and David generously donated a few samples for making
compilation (still ongoing until 17th Aug!) to be used freely and
optionally (you are free to create your own sound or record something)
in composition/ piece of sound-work on common theme: REQUIEM17FOR
CICADAS ----we are still looking for gifts dedicated to cicadas in
between 17 sec and 17 min, these are margins of tolerance. 17 sec of the
sound/music you rrrrreally love! It makes no difference how is
technically made.

cicadian:

chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh mch
mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch chmch mch
mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch ch chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh
chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhhswiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh

translation:

One more sound among the millions, notes by David Rothenberg:
Playing with periodical cicadas is a true exercise in humility. You are
one more musician among millions, joining in with a sound that you can
find only once every seventeen years. Three species all emerging at
once, each with a distinctive sound: the continuous drone made out of
many “Phaaaroahs!” of the septendecim; the waves of white noise made by
synchronizing cassinis, and the chh chh chh chh chh chh regular shaker
rhythms of the deculas, all overlapping over each other with varying
prominence as the morning moves into afternoon and evening.

It is an honor to be part of such a wild thrum, and it can be difficult
to find a way in. The song of the cicadas certainly doesn’t need us, but
we absolutely need them. Humanity is here to witness the wonders of
nature, to celebrate them, to understand them, to join in with them in
order to earn our place as part of this world.I’ve been playing along
with cicadas for ten years now, when I was working on my book Bug Music.
Then I worked on two films ...

I wondered in 2021 what would really feel new about being back with
these amazing creatures once more. For one, there is so much more
interest in the phenomenon in this rare year when humanity also feels
like we are emerging, from a pandemic of a scale unprecedented in this
century, also in a world where the sharing of media has achieved greater
significance than anyone could have realized. Here is my cicada picture,
here is my cicada sound, here is the ease by which sound and image are
instantly transmitted across the world, binding us suddenly together
around an occurrence which previously only a few had the privilege of
witnessing and remembering.

This season I became much more interested in bringing others along with
me on my quest to join in with the millions. Our album, Brood X Band: We
Emerge, now on Bandcamp, celebrates all the fine different kinds of
musicians I was able to bring together to share in the swarm. On this
program you hear an outtake from that, a duet with myself on clarinet
and Peter Bouteneff, an expert on the music of Arvo Pärt and director of
the Sacred Music Project at St. Vladimir’s Seminary in Yonkers, on the
upright bass, recorded at the Battlefield Park in Princeton, NJ.

At Patapsco State Park in Maryland I went one morning alone, took out my
clarinet, set up a drone playing on an iPad to enter the cicadas’ world.
In that piece I somehow feel that all these years of cicada
contemplation come to fruition—I would not have played like that ten
years ago, and will not play that way seventeen years in the future from
now when Brood X comes back. I hope I and the world will be around and
ready to celebrate then.
www.terranovamusic.net
http://www.davidrothenberg.net/

cicadian:

phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh
chh chh chh chh chh chh mch mch mCH mCH mC mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch
ch swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh tshtke-EHHHHHHH-ou tshtke-
EHHHHHHH-ou mch mch mCH mCH mCH Ch ch ch ch ch swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh

translation:

Poetry by Wilbur Bewley:
I listened in the dark last night, it was so bright! I’m spending long
memories with those bugs carrying the anthems of their civilizations and
ours these days... I will send you another sound-print from the most
recent uni.Sol_ cascade, I think it'll make you grin. I found rubble
pacing around an old railway not far from where I now live. It happened
to have some paper clips and motors! I have found two locations
(south-east/west) of old growth forests/small canyons in southern
Indiana, USA, where I will interface with the emergence of BroodX and
uni.Sol_teletypee: http://locusonus.org/soundmap/051/ portal called
BroodX will appear on the 18th of May at 6:30 am (EDT)(the same day as
Mr. Bradley's cabin connection) transcribing "real time" brooding for
awhile until things go hay-wire with latency and online-connections from
hotspots. I will put apparatus'/contact mics/clip mics in different
vestiges of the forests ecosystems and hollow trunks. Maybe, under the
vegetation into the descent of the forest floor and sense the nymphs
through random glass shapes I'll bring along. It has just rained last
night and it could be any minute now...

It was so sweet. I have sent you a track of sound prints of
places/spirit I ended up in... I saw two foxes and you might hear them
rustling a bit always beside the cicadas thresholds building. I will
send you more sound snapshots in the area near my house. It is so loud I
can hardly put on headphones but it looks like they are travelling
between islands in the sky proclaiming their rights!

cicadian:

chh chh chh chh chh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh
crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh
chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh crzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhh chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh phaaaroahs
phaaaroahs swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhhswiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhhswiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs phaaaroahs
phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh

translation:

uni.Sol_orchestrated more than 20 hours of live-concerts, or better
said: joining_in the biggest summer festival featuring trillions of
Cicadas 17 BroodX via connecting “beacons” provided generously by Mr.
Stephen Bradley and Mr. David Rothenberg while other
uni.Sol_participants**** were “listening” - tuning in from their
respective remote locations around the World, simultaneously - in the
same time - the same moment attempting to connect via extrasensory
communication, to share a beautiful sounds in sound-world. Did it really
happened? Could this be a global event? Seek for Cicada Events and ****
names with each respective event here: www.unisol.bandcamp.com/ and
www.alfa00.bandcamp.com/

cicadian:

chrzzzzzzzzzzaahhh phaaaroahs phaaaroahs swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh
swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh swiiiiiiiiiiishhhh phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh phaaaroahs
phaaaroahs phaaaaaaaaaaaarohhhh

translation:

Many THANKS-thanks-THANKS to Patrick for making this adventure available
... and EVERYBODY who generously contributed ...

----------

again, we are always looking for new material, whether raw field
recordings, field recording based composition, or introduction
submissions. we are also now accepting proposals for full editions of
our guest curated framework:afield series. send proposals or material,
released or not, on any format, to the address at the bottom of this
mail. if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

SUPPORT FRAMEWORK! your contributions make framework possible. become a
patron: http://www.patreon.com/frameworkradio or make a one-time
donation: http://www.frameworkradio.net/donate. explore our rewards and
thank-you gifts! we can't do it without you, and we greatly appreciate
your support.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

framework intro submissions:

    1)    take yourself and an audio recorder to a location of your choice
    2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
    3)    read aloud the following text (in english or translated):

welcome to framework. framework is a show consecrated to
field-recording, and its use in composition.  field-recording,
phonography, the art of sound hunting; open your ears and listen!

    4)    continue recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after the text
    5)    post the
recording to us on any format, or send us an mp3––––––––––––––––––––––––––

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
framework
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
::   https://frameworkradio.net
::   info at frameworkradio.net
::
::   https://patreon.com/frameworkradio