[microsound-announce] Invitation to contribute to The Pandemic Silence Project

Andreas von Bubnoff avbubnoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:16:34 EDT 2020

Hello,

Hope you're all safe and healthy wherever you are! We're a designer and a
journalist based in Germany <https://www.pandemicsilence.org/about> and
wanted to let you know that we've launched The Pandemic Silence Project
<https://www.pandemicsilence.org/>, a global call to capture the
quieting-down (or change) of the world's soundscapes during the #COVID19
pandemic.

Two media outlets are already partnering with us, RiffReporter
<https://www.riffreporter.de/anthropozaen/corona-pandemie-still-pandemic-silence/>
and Southeast Asia Globe <https://southeastasiaglobe.com/>, to develop a
multimedia project from the contributions. One theme of the final
publication will likely be noise pollution, i.e. how the current lack of
noise shows how noisy we usually are; another how people feel about these
changes.

So please spread the word and contribute your sound recordings! It's all
anonymous, and we just need

·      a *recording with least a minute of uninterrupted* *sound*

·      a *picture* of the place (or both sound & picture as a brief *video*)

·      *location* & *date* & *time* of the recording

·      a few *comments* (on what we can hear, what's unusual about the
lockdown situation and how you feel about the
sounds).

That's it! The submission form is here: https://bit.ly/2Xq8TYX

As for *what to record*, even just sounds from your window are OK in case
you can't get out (and if you do get out, please do so safely!). Other than
that, the usual *quality criteria* apply: ideally stereo, the less
compressed the better etc., but don't overthink it! We believe the more
people participate the better, and the comments explaining the soundscapes
and how people feel about them will also be an important part here.

Looking forward to your sounds!

Cheers,

Verónica & Andreas

The Pandemic Silence Project

W: pandemicsilence.org

T: @pandemicsilence

---
Andreas von Bubnoff, PhD
Professor Science Communication Rhine-Waal University
Multimedia Producer | Science Journalist
Brooklyn, NY & Kleve, Germany
2019 HITS Journalist in Residence
<https://www.h-its.org/de/2019/09/04/andreas-von-bubnoff-jir-2019/>,
Heidelberg, Germany