[microsound-announce] MAY WORKSHOPS AT NK BERLIN

lists at nkprojekt.de lists at nkprojekt.de
Thu May 2 12:56:43 EDT 2013

LOCATION:
NK Projekt
Elsenstr. 52 2HH 2Etage
12059 Berlin
+49(0)17620626386

www.nkprojekt.de

Saturday May 11 2013, 14:00-18:00 Sunday May 12 2013, 14:00-18:00
SOUNDBOXES WORKSHOP WITH DEREK HOLZER

Discover the hidden sonic qualities of objects from our everyday world
in this one day workshop, combining the arts of electronics, noise,
sculpture and collage. The basic elements of this workshop are a
wooden box, a speaker, a small audio amplifier, and a contact
microphone. To this, brave box-builders will add their own found
objects, graphics, images, memories and ideas to create a unique
electroacoustic cabinet of curiosities.
No previous electronics experience is necessary for this workshop.
Each participant is required to bring several items to the workshop,
please see below.

WHAT TO BRING

I will provide most of the tools and materials necessary for
constructing the box, however there are a few things you should bring
yourself:
1) A BOX: This should be made of thin wood or very strong cardboard.
Plastic can be also used, but it doesn’t sound very good. And please,
no metal! It is too difficult to cut and drill with the tools we will
have. This box should be a minimum of 10x10x4cm, or bigger if you want
to use a larger speaker or have more room to decorate and add objects.
Cigar boxes, small suitcases, instrument cases or jewelry/silverware
boxes are all good things to look for. At least one side of the box
should be no more than 5mm thick, to allow the hardware to be mounted.
2) A SPEAKER (OPTIONAL): I will have a selection of speakers for
participants to use. However, if you have something special please
bring it along, but please make sure it fits in the box you have chosen!
3) FOUND OBJECTS: Please bring as many found objects as you can to
decorate your soundbox or use as a sound source via the contact
microphone. Bones, shells, small sticks, bells, strings, wires,
springs (especially!) or anything else made out of solid yet resonant
material make great sound sources. Photographs, cloth, leather, paper
or any other kind of material can be useful for covering the box and
making collages. Paint, markers and pens may also be useful.

FURTHER INFO:
You can see videos and photos from previous SoundBoxes workshops here:
http://macumbista.net/?page_id=1897
You can see all posts related to SoundBoxes, including ones I have
made for sale recently, here: http://macumbista.net/?tag=soundboxes

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Derek Holzer (1972) is an American sound artist based in Berlin, whose
current interests include DIY analog electronics, sound art, field
recording and the meeting points of electroacoustic, noise, improv and
extreme music. He has played live experimental sound, as well as
taught workshops in noise art technology, across Europe, North
America, Brazil and New Zealand.
http://macumbista.net/

BASIC INFO:
Fee: EUR 30 (participation) + EUR 10 (materials)
Registration is required and can be done by sending an email to
info at nkprojekt.de with the subject line “SoundBoxes”. This is a one
day workshop, please indicate which day (SAT or SUN) you would like to
attend when making your reservation.
Number of Participants: Minimum 6/Maximum 12

Monday May 20 2013 11:30-13:00 / lunch / 14:00-17:00
COMPLEX DYNAMICAL SONIC SYSTEMS BASED ON NONLINEAR FEEDBACK NETWORKS

In this workshop I will discuss complex dynamical feedback systems for
human-machine interaction performance, autonomous sound installations
and non-conventional sound synthesis. The workshop will be divided
into two parts: a theoretical one, and a more practical one. In the
first part, I will talk about the properties of feedback systems from
a systemic and cybernetic perspective within the framework of emergent
and complex phenomena, along with theoretical concepts related to such
an approach for creative practices. In the second part, I will present
some of my works and techniques, and the implementation of such
systems through the Pure Data programming environment, analog devices
or other softwares, although such systems can be machine-independent
and the technical description provided makes it possible to implement
these techniques in other environments.

Main discussed topics:

Part I
Positive and negative feedback
Nonlinearity, circular causality and iteration
Interaction, interdependency and synergy
Self-dis/organisation, homeorhesis and homeostasis
Chaos, emergence and complexity
Autonomous and self-sustaining non-automated systems
Non-random unpredictability
Organic sound
Analogue complex dynamical systems
The subversion of technology
The aesthetics of the emergent machine
Improvisation as a feedback mechanism

Part II

Feedback delay networks
Digital reverberation
Single-side modulation (frequency shifting)
Recursive asynchronous granular synthesis
Recursive nonlinear distortion
Adaptive limiting

LIES (topology)
LIES (distance/incidence)
LIES (analog/bent)

SD/OS (presence)
SD/OS (dirac)
SD/OS (self-motion)

The workshop will be held in english. PLEASE PRE REGISTER TO THE
WORKSHOP BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO: sanfilippo.dario at gmail.com

COST: 25€
WHEN: 20th of May
TIME: 11:30-13:00 / lunch / 14:00-17:00
WHERE: N.K. | Elsenstr. 52/2.Hinterhaus Etage 2, 12059 | www.nkprojekt.de

About the author:
Dario Sanfilippo was born in Agrigento, Italy, in 1983.
He is a freelance composer, performer and sound artist whose research
is focused on the study and exploration of complex dynamical feedback
systems for non-conventional sound synthesis, improvised human-machine
interaction performances, and autonomous sound installations.
His works and researches have been presented in international
festivals and contemporary music events such as AudioArt Festival,
CurvaMinore Festival, Acoustic Fields Festival, AudioVisiva Festival,
Quiet Cue concert series, Live!iXem Festival, as well as Universities
like Naples’ L’Orientale, Bangor University, Queen Mary University of
London; they have been selected for international conferences like
International Computer Music Conference 2012, Sound and Music
Computing 2011, Digital Music Research Network 2011, Colloquium of
Musical Informatics 2010 and 2012, INTER/actions Symposium 2012, and
they have been published for record labels such as Creative Sources,
Die Schachtel and Idroscalo.
In 2012, his research paper “Towards a Typology of Feedback Systems”,
co-written with Andrea Valle, was the Best Paper Award winner at the
International Computer Music Conference 2012, and an expanded version
of such paper is due to be published on Computer Music Journal.
He graduated in Music and New Technologies at the Conservatory of
Trapani, and he is nowadays attending the M.Sci course in Electronic
Music at the Conservatory of Naples, in the class of Agostino Di Scipio.

RELATIONAL MACHINES FOR EPHEMERAL EXPERIENCES – WITH MALI WEIL

25th & 26th May 11:00-15:00
This two day-long workshop conducted by Mali Weil focuses on the
development of a relational performance through the conceptual
analysis of the creative process and practice exercises made by the
participants about a common concept to develop a simple relational path.
www.maliweil.org

TIME: 11:00-15:00
COST: 50€
WORKSHOP REGISTRATION: info.animalspirits at gmail.com