[microsound-announce] [framework radio] #407: 2013.02.10

. m u r m e r . murmer at murmerings.com
Mon Feb 11 03:53:31 EST 2013

framework radio
phonography ::: field recording ::: the art of sound-hunting
open your ears and listen!

-------------------------

framework broadcasts:
   - sunday, 11pm, london, uk on resonance 104.4fm
       (http://www.resonancefm.com)
   - monday, 16:30, vancouver, usa on radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - tuesday, 12:30pm, south devon, uk on soundartradio 102.5fm
       (http://www.soundartradio.org.uk)
   - wednesday, 3am, lisbon, pt on radio zero
       (http://www.radiozero.pt)
   - wednesday, 16:30, vancouver, usa on radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - thursday, 7pm, lisbon, pt on radio zero
       (http://www.radiozero.pt)
   - thursday, 11pm, maribor, si on radio marš 95.9fm
       (http://www.radiomars.si)
   - friday, 1am, brussels, be on radio campus 92.1fm
       (http://www.radiocampusbruxelles.org)
   - friday, 16:30, vancouver, usa on radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - saturday, 11am, new york state, us on wgxc 90.7fm
       (http://www.wgxc.org)

~ time zone converter: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com ~

for general info, playlists, podcasts, or to stream the latest edition
at any time: http://www.frameworkradio.net

SUPPORT FRAMEWORK!
your contributions make framework possible. sign up as a regular donor,
or make a one-time donation here: http://www.frameworkradio.net/donate.
as a thank-you for your donation of €20 or more, we'll send you the
latest issue of our framework:seasonal cd series, issue #3, a 2.5 hour
audio dvdr by the legendary chris watson!

-------------------------

#407: 2013.02.10

(listen to this show here:
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2013/02/407-2013-02-10/)

this edition of framework:afield has been produced in portugal by carlo
patrão, of radio zepelim, and features non-dialogue sounds taken from
the films of portuguese filmmaker manoel de oliveira. notes from the
producer:

Manoel de Oliveira - Collected Silences

"If the eye is entirely won, give nothing or almost nothing to the
ear…if the ear is entirely won, give nothing to the eye. One can not be
at the same time all eye and all ear." Robert Bresson - Notes on
Cinematography

The cinema of Manoel de Oliveira features a careful balance of image,
sound, and silence. Long takes and static frames call attention to the
rich auditory elements present in each scene. In this hour of
Framework:Afield, we are going to explore the soundtrack of Oliveira’s
non-dialogue scenes by separating the audio from its image. These sounds
depict daily life in pastoral Portuguese landscapes. In the context of
radio, they become the focal point while new visual layers are free to
form in the listener’s imagination. The sounds presented in this collage
are not organized according to the films’ chronology or storylines.
Rather, they are grouped as much as possible according to other
properties like volume, pitch, and intensity of the samples as well as
by common themes like footsteps, wind blowing, characters breathing,
wood creaking, etc. The sounds were taken from the following films:  The
Hunt (1963), Past and Present (1972), Benilde or The Virgin Mother
(1975), Voyage to the Beginning of the World (1997), My Case (1987), The
Cannibals (1988), Word and Utopia (2000), The Uncertainty Principle
(2002), Belle Toujours (2006) and Eccentricities of a Blonde-haired Girl
(2009). At the age of 80, he hit the pace of making one film per year.
Today, Oliveira is 104 years old and still going – the world’s oldest
active filmmaker.

Credits:
Produced by Carlo Patrão, Zepelim, Rádio Universidade de Coimbra
Narrative Readings: Susana Sampaio Dias & Erica Buettner

Links:
www.zeppelinruc.wordpress.com
www.ruc.fm

again, we are always looking for new material, whether raw field
recordings, field recording based composition, or introduction
submissions. we are also now accepting proposals for full editions of
our guest curated framework:afield series. send proposals or material,
released or not, on any format, to the address at the bottom of this
mail. if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

-------------------------

framework intro submissions:

   1)    take yourself and an audio recorder to a location of your choice
   2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
   3)    read aloud the following text (in english or translated):

welcome to framework. framework is a show consecrated to
field-recording, and its use in composition.  field-recording,
phonography, the art of sound hunting; open your ears and listen!

   4)    continue recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after the text
   5)    post the recording to us on any format, or send us an mp3
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
--

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
framework
::   info at frameworkradio.net
::
::   http://www.facebook.com/frameworkradio