[microsound-announce] "History of Sound Art" online course

Maxine Maxteacher maxinemaxmsp74 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 23:31:37 EDT 2013

I still have places available in my ONLINE course "A History of Sound Art,"
a 3 credit course offered through the Art History Department at
Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt), starting September 16.
OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. Anyone, anywhere on earth can take my course!
Here is my course website, with a link to registration:
http://www.jeweltone16.org/soundart

Course description: Imagine sound pieces created with bells hung from
clouds, a piano filled with nails/bolts/nuts/screws, a floor covered with
old LPs, or only the echo of a space. This course will give you the
background you need for understanding and appreciating the artistic
category designated as “sound art,” as well as introducing you to a number
of current artists in the field. We will first explore various historical
threads that may illuminate reasons for the formation of the movement and
then will examine works by a variety of artists in the 20th Century that
have created significant relationships between the aural domain and other
areas of thought and perception. You will develop skills to critically
experience sound in a variety of contexts, including the acquisition of a
basic vocabulary in acoustics and psychoacoustics. No previous experience
with sound or music is required.

For mor information contact: jdunaway at massart.edu