[microsound-announce] Murmur @ 106BLDG30 / Brooklyn Navy Yard, BLDG30, Suite 106 / Nov 16 8PM

Bruce Tovsky bruce at skeletonhome.com
Fri Nov 9 11:48:45 EST 2012

2 0 1 2   /   2 0 1 3      S E A S O N         E V E N T     1

after a long hiatus we are pleased to announce the first of a new series of events:

FRIDAY  NOVEMBER 16  2012    8PM    $5
RSVP: via FB, btovsky (at) gmail (dot) com or 917.674.6647 (TEXT)

MURMUR (SOUND) + BRUCE TOVSKY (VISUALS)
BEN OWEN (SOUND) + GUEST (VISUALS)

we are really happy to have two very special artists launch our new season: patrick mcginley (aka murmur), who is an american now living in estonia, and ben owen, based in brooklyn.

for patrick's set all sounds used are prerecorded in the space itself or it's surroundings, or generated live from local found objects. patrick is using this process for each of the performances he is giving on this tour. we will be doing a soundwalk around the navy yard the day before, collecting sounds, and in my case visuals, to be presented during the performance.

BIOS

patrick mcginley is an american-born sound, performance, and radio artist who has been based in europe since 1996. since then he has been building a collection of found sounds and found objects that has become the basis of all his work. in 2002 he founded framework, an organization  that produces a weekly field-recording themed radio show, broad- and podcasting around the world. in 2005, he began working closely with the artist-run organization MoKS in southeast estonia, relocating there permanently in 2009. most recently mcginley has been giving presentations, workshops, and performances based on the exploration of site-specific sound (with the revenant project) and sound as definition of space. in live performance his interest in field recording has developed into an attempt to integrate and resonate found sounds, found objects, specific spaces, and moments in time, in order to create a direct and visceral link with an audience and location.
murmer’s work is about small discoveries and concentrated attention; it focuses on the framing of the sounds around us which normally pass through our ears unnoticed and unremarked, but which out of context become unrecognizable, alien and extraordinary: crackling charcoal, a squeaking escalator, a buzzing insect, or one’s own breath. he works equally with spaces, objects, resonances, and people, in composition, performance, or simply collective action and experience, in exploration of perception via attentive listening.

ben owen works with projected slide film manipulations and experimental electro-acoustic sound composition. his collaborations can be found with ting ting jahe, tiptip, and radio transmission works with free103point9 and broadcastatic. ben first explored the theme of instability and decay through his work with stone lithography printmaking. he has continued to work with these themes. this theme is evidenced by ben's decision to focus on (mostly) unmanipulated location (field) recordings, thereby underscoring the ephemeral and unpredictable nature of sound. ben arranges these sound-fields both as raw captures and digitally processed fragments.

106BLDG30 is in the Brooklyn Navy Yard:

BUILDING 30  Suite 106
Brooklyn Navy Yard
enter at the Clinton Ave & Flushing Ave gate, ask for Building 30 Suite 106 at the guardhouse, they will direct you. a BNY map link and directions can be found below.
btovsky (at) gmail (dot) com or 917.674.6647 for more information

106BLDG30 is curated by Bruce Tovsky & Tracy Wuischpard

a short list of upcoming shows in progress:

bowed guitars  //  zach layton / bruce tovsky   [ next month! ]

carver audain

daniel neumann

david linton

and more...

http://www.brooklynnavyyard.org/direction.html

http://www.murmerings.com/
http://www.benowen.org/
http://www.skeletonhome.com/

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com

"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."
Philip K. Dick