[microsound-announce] Comprovisations (Montréal) – Concerts & Live Stream: May 24-27, 2012

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Wed May 23 10:34:08 EDT 2012

*Comprovisations* – Improvisation Technologies for the Performing
ArtsResearch-Creation
Workshop  ⋅  May 24-27, 2012  ⋅  Hexagram Concordia & matralab, Concordia
University Montréal ∞*COMPROVISATIONS - Improvisation Technologies for the
Performing Arts* <http://matralab.hexagram.ca/comprovisations2012> is a
workshop during which leading researchers, artists and software developers
from Europe, Asia and the Americas will discuss questions and artistic
approaches in the emerging and fast-growing field of computer-assisted
improvisation in Music, Theatre and Dance. As these technologies transform
the aesthetics and practices of stage performance, they also engender new
production modes and demand a new understanding from organizers and
audiences as to what a "performance" is: a well-rehearsed repetition of a
finished work where we admire the sensibility, skill and perfection of the
performers ? Or is it something that happens once, just now, only for those
present - where we also admire the presence of mind, the openness to
context and the beauty of coincidence that lies at the bottom of all
performance ? And how does the fact that computers can improvise, too, now,
accompanying and guiding the live performers, change our perception of what
happens in a performance ?

Over 4 days, from May 24 to 27, 2012, the invited guests at "*
Comprovisations*" will show their work, their research and their art to
each other - and will engage in searching questions that will try to
understand what improvisation and performance can mean in the digital age.
In invitational workshop sessions as well as in five public events, we will
explore and discuss the boundaries of performance, humanity and art with
some of the most innovative research-creators around the globe.

*Concerts
*There will be 6 concerts over the 4 days. These concerts are open to the
public and free of charge (limited seating). For more information visit the
∞concerts page <http://matralab.hexagram.ca/comprovisations2012/concerts>on
the conference website.
*
**Live Video Stream*
For those unable to be in Montreal, the presentations and performances will
be ∞live-streamed
<http://matralab.hexagram.ca/comprovisations2012/stream>(audio /
video) on the conference website. The first stream will begin on
May 24th at 2pm.
*
Web Links
*∞http://matralab.hexagram.ca/comprovisations2012