[microsound-announce] Podcast: INTERRUPTIONS #7. The Beauty in Breathing. Curated by Kenneth Goldsmith

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:05:06 EST 2012

*INTERRUPTIONS #7. The Beauty in Breathing. Curated by Kenneth Goldsmith *

Link:
http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/interruptions_7_kenneth_goldsmith/capsula

The Zen Buddhists insist that during meditation the practitioner must focus
exclusively on their breath. When stray thoughts enter your mind, you must
always go back to your breath. What they mean by this is that if you are
breathing, you are alive. What we do every second is something we take for
granted. Coming at it from a very different angle, the artists featured in
this mix want to make us aware of the same thing: by highlighting our most
commonly shared – yet almost invisible – bodily function and using it as
the basis for sonic exploration, they reveal something at once cosmic and
mundane, that which is right under our nose, but which we somehow ignore.
John Cage once said that music is all around us if only we had the ears to
hear it.  The same can be said by the artists compiled here: breathing is
all around us, if only we had the tools to pay attention to it. This
compilation is, hopefully, one small step toward that end.

Kenneth Goldsmith @Radio_Web_MACBA: http://bit.ly/gksAZb
Follow us at http://twitter.com/Radio_Web_MACBA
http://twitter.com/Radio_Web_MACBA