[microsound-announce] New Release: Sounds Like Silence, John Cage / 4:33 / Silence Today

Lasse-Marc Riek lasseart at gmx.de
Mon Aug 27 10:15:37 EDT 2012

Sounds Like Silence
John Cage / 4:33 / Silence Today
1912–1952–2012
(Edited by Inke Arns and Dieter Daniels)

6 Tracks (48:50)
CD (500 copies)

http://www.gruenrekorder.de/?page_id=8051

SOUNDS LIKE SILENCE
In 2012 the world celebrates not only the centenary of John Cage’s
birth, but also the sixtieth anniversary of the premiere of his ›silent
piece‹ 4:33 (four minutes, thirty-three seconds) on August 29, 1952.
This composition in three movements without intentional sounds is the
composer’s best-known work today. As an ›art without work‹ (John Cage),
it takes up and renews the impulses of the avant-gardes of the early
twentieth century, notably Marcel Duchamp’s readymades, which the artist
himself termed ›works without art.‹

SILENCE AS A CHALLENGE
Cage’s observation that ›there is no such thing as silence‹ finds a
disturbing echo in today’s world, where issues of ›acoustic ecology‹ are
playing an ever-increasing role, notably in town and transport planning,
architecture, and product design. Beyond our ›objective‹ acoustic
environment, it would appear that our ›subjective‹ perception of sound
has also changed, as demonstrate the controversial debates about the
ubiquity of sound diffusion in private and public spaces, enabled by
modern technology.

What do we hear when there is nothing to hear?
To what extent do we long for silence?
And with how much silence can we cope provided it even exists?

This CD is an ›anthology of silence‹ which spans a large spectrum of
historic and contemporary works of art. Its selection of tracks
evidences that silence never sounds like silence: while some of the
pieces are indeed very quiet, others will seem rather ›loud.‹ Attentive
listeners will be rewarded as they gradually make out the subtle yet
far-ranging differences in the various sound atmospheres.

The CD contains the radio feature which was broadcasted on August 24,
2012 in the Sound Art program of Deutschlandradio Kultur.

Works and Words (Extracts):

John Cage -- Nam June Paik -- Filippo Tommaso Marinetti -- Jonty Semper
Matt Rogalsky -- Martin Conrads -- Christopher DeLaurenti -- Dave Allen
Jacob Kirkegaard -- Lasse­-Marc Riek -- Stephen Vitiello -- Matthieu
Saladin
Brandon LaBelle -- People Like Us (Vicki Bennett) -- Einstürzende
Neubauten.

The exhibition Sounds Like Silence is organized by the Hartware
MedienKunstVerein (HMKV) at Dortmunder U in Dortmund, Germany, from
August 25, 2012 to January 6, 2013. It is curated by Inke Arns and
Dieter Daniels.
http://www.hmkv.de/programm/programmpunkte/2012/Ausstellungen/2012_Sounds_like_Silence.php