[microsound-announce] murmerings ::: 2012.04 ::: roots, bridges, seasons, voyages

. m u r m e r . murmer at murmerings.com
Sun Apr 15 13:01:02 EDT 2012

murmerings 2012.04 ::: tartu, estonia

::: murmerings is an occasional update on the comings and goings of
sound, radio and performance artist patrick mcginley, aka murmer ::: to
be added to or removed from this mailing list drop a note to
murmer at murmerings.com :::

spring has finally sprung here in estonia - the snow has been cleared
from our balcony here in tartu, and we've been spending as much time
soaking up the sun as possible. meanwhile plans are moving along, and i
have several new things to tell you about - more shiny plastic-and-metal
discs, some virtual sounds, and some movements...

::: what are the roots that clutch, san francisco and the world :::

the great helen scarsdale agency has now officially announced the
release of the first new solo murmer full length abum since 2007, what
are the roots that clutch. it will be officially released in june,
unless you happen to be in san francisco on record store day (next
saturday, april 21st). from the agency's announcement:

April 2012 brings a host of intriguing events, including the always
dazzling sound art festival Activating The Medium festival curated by
our cohorts at 23five Incorporated. But there are a few other events in
which The Agency has found itself entangled. First up, we are
participating in Record Store Day, at only ONE record store -- the
eternal Aquarius Records in San Francisco, who will be getting a handful
of the still wet from the presses album by Murmer entitled What Are The
Roots That Clutch. We will make that album more widely available in
June, but for those who must have it now a pittance will be at Aquarius
on that Saturday only. Expect field recordings and brightly rendered
magnetic drones from Murmer, housed in exemplary letter-pressed fashion!

Murmer What Are The Roots That Clutch//CD
Record Store Day, Saturday April 21 : 10am - 10pm
Aquarius Records
1055 Valencia Street
San Francisco, California

::: framework:seasonal ::: spring 2012 edition :::

and an announcement from the world of framework radio
(http://www.frameworkradio.net): staying in the realm of shiny discs,
issue 2 of the framework:seasonal fundraising compilation series (spring
2012 edition) is now ready to ship! once again we present you a fine
collection of new unreleased sounds, all field recording related, from
artists both well known and relatively new to our airwaves. the new
edition features works from:

jd zazie, sala, james wyness, dave phillips, aymeric de tapol, anton
mobin, camilla hannan, pali meursault, lasse-marc riek

this edition finds itself in much more industrial territory, in the
literal sense of the word, with machine drones, empty spaces, printing
presses, public transport; quite a cacophany, but not without some
natural respite away from city sounds.

framework:seasonal is an ongoing series of compilations in support of
framework radio - all works are donated by the artists, and the releases
are only available directly from the framework website, in exchange for
a donation of 18€ or more, or a subscription donation of 5€ per month or
more. please support framework's efforts and give! copies of issue 1,
autumn 2011, are also still available, as well as just one or two
remaining copies of the massive framework250 4-disc set from 2009.

http://www.frameworkradio.net/seasonal
http://www.frameworkradio.net/seasonal/spring2012

::: crosstalk: tartu-berlin soundbridge, tartu, estonia :::

udo noll and i are happy to announce the opening of the tartu-berlin
soundbridge (tartu-berliini helisild, in estonian), a permanent
interactive sound installation in the centre of tartu. if you're in
tartu you can experience it on location; otherwise you can still here
the recordings, browse the map, and track (consentual) soundwalkers from
the project page.

crosstalk refers to a notion of distant touch. over this soundbridge,
sounds are exchanged between the two cities. the listener creates an
individualized site-specific radio work, using a mobile phone,
headphones, and GPS technology to replace the tartu soundscape with that
of berlin. as you move through the city to specific points (for example,
the kissing students fountain, or the emajõgi footbridge) sound
recordings from corresponding locations in berlin are triggered and play
through your headphones. your listening experience is defined and
composed directly by your physical location and movement within the
city. crosstalk makes use of the radio aporee miniatures for mobiles
platform.

More information from: http://aporee.org/crosstalk
or to schedule a demonstration write: crosstalk at aporee.org

more information, as well as phones to borrow for participation, are
available at the domus dorpatensis offices, ülikooli 7, 2nd floor.

crosstalk has been commissioned by domus dorpatensis, and is funded by
the goethe institut tallinn.

::: and furthermore :::

plans for the rest of the year are firming up - these include july
travels in norway and october travels in the states. we'll be looking
for activity opportunities (workshops, performances, etc) in both these
places, so if you might be interested in hosting an appearance please
get in touch! all the best for springtime!

patrick

--

|||http://www.murmerings.com  |||