[microsound-announce] NEON WORKSHOPS JULY/AUGUST 2011

julian percy julian.percy at gmx.de
Wed Jun 8 08:44:21 EDT 2011

Saturday 30th July- Monday 1st August 2011 Workshop 1 Tuesday 2nd- Thursday 4th August 2011 Workshop 2

NEON WORKSHOPS JULY/AUGUST 2011

Our aim is to expose, educate, challenge and teach neon as a method of expression and cultural production. We also hope to encourage participants to stretch their methods of thinking when using glass and light. We offer access to a fully functioning neon facility where our award winning makers and artists unravel the mysteries of creating neon light. During our workshops, through one-to-one tuition and group demonstrations, participants will learn the skills of transcribing designs into neon drawings and manipulating glass with flame before filling with gas. The goal is for each participant to leave with a finished work of light that they have designed and made or helped make through directing.

This summer two very special workshops will be held for the first time in Berlin @ NK. Together with Neon Workshops UK will offer participants the chance to unravel some of the mystery concerned with the creating of neon light. Teachers include the UK based master neon maker Julia Bickerstaff and artist Richard William Wheater.

Participants will learn everything from transcribing ideas into neon drawings to filling their glass forms with gas. At the end of the workshop each participant will take home a piece of neon they have designed and helped make or directed in making *(Transformer/neon power supply not included).

This promises to be an energy driven, hands on workshop, and a real once in a lifetime experience. Be prepared to learn and work hard. Experience with glass is not essential. Please get in touch for more information and to reserve a place.

info at neonworkshops.com +44 (0) 1924 2000 69
info at nkprojekt.de	 +49 (0) 1762 0626 386

http://www.neonworkshops.com

Fee: Workshop 1
30/7 – 1/8/2011 (10am – 5pm, 1hr lunch break)
Taught by Richard William Wheater and Julia Bickerstaff
6 places available
€380

Workshop 2
2/8 – 4/8/2011 (10am – 5pm, 1hr lunch break)
Taught by Richard William Wheater and Julia Bickerstaff
6 places available
€380

If a person signs up for both workshops they can have a discount of 100€ from the participation fee of the second workshop. A persons place is only confirmed once payment in full of €380 is paid. If someone that has paid wishes to withdraw from the course they will receive full reimbursement provided a minimum of 28 days notice has been given before course date.

All course money should be paid to Neon Workshops by bank transfer Payments will receive a receipt by email as well as an itinerary for the three days.

Payment information:

Bank: HSBC
Address: 66 Westgate, West Yorkshire, WF1 1XB, UK
Account Name: Neon Workshops
Account Number: 82123940
Sort Code: 40 45 11
IBAN: GB56MIDL40451182123940
SWIFT: MIDLGB22
BIC: MIDLGB2161D

*The power supply/transformer is not included in the workshop fee, this is because they vary in price and voltage. Only when an exact design is drawn or work made can a suitable transformer be chosen. Transformers can be purchased on the day from Neon Workshops: Low voltage €50 or High voltage €70 or afterward from any good neon supplier.

Julia Bickerstaff is recognised throughout the industry as one of the most competent neon makers in the UK. Bickerstaff works with neon full-time.

Richard William Wheater

A British artist who works predominantly with glass and neon through performance and installation. Wheater set up Neon Workshops in 2007 and is published as one of the movers and shakers of the glass and neon art scene.

--

NK PROJEKT
http://www.nkprojekt.de/

JULIAN PERCY