[microsound-announce] AGXIVATEIN 01

Marinos Koutsomichalis marinos at agxivatein.com
Thu Oct 8 06:02:15 EDT 2009

Hello all,

**Once again I added some addresses without asking - if you are not
interested in receiving news from my activities, just ask me to delete
you from the list.

*** Sorry if you receive this more than once

ΑΓΧΙΒΑΤΕΙΝ NEWS

ΑΓΧΙΒΑΤΕΙΝ s back to life !!!!

an organisation and independent label dedicated to cultural and
educational activities
- more curatorial and educational acts soon to be announced
- new releases soon

November:

14-15.11.2009 - Athens, Greece - workshop on supercollider curated w.
Bios

NEW RELEASES OUT IN NOVEMBER:

01. Marinos Koutsomichalis 'Trevor Jones Studio Sessions vol I'
02. Marinos Koutsomichalis 'Peripatetic'

PERIPATETIC

Peripatetic. adjective. 1. Travelling from place to place, esp working
or based on various places for relatively short periods. 2. with
reference to the Aristotle' s practice of walking to and fro while
teaching. (Oxford American Dictionary).

Probing the aural

Cities are sound installations - organic sound-emitting devices. They
are both 'generative pieces' and 'field recordings'. Our auditory
system defines our own individual acoustic space in such an
environment. By wandering around, by consciously controlling the way
we listen, we can alter this sonic-image and shape it according our
will. We can interpret given space, inhabit its sonic qualities and
seek aesthetic potential there.
The act of recording highlights and documents such a praxis, while
enables me to further shape the soundscape in respect to how various
pieces of equipment listen to and perceive sound. But what ultimately
matters, is awareness of the sounds around us.
By trying to compose out of given space, I seek to highlight this
perceptional shift. Letting Sound guide me to wherever it may,
upgrades everyday life experiences into stand-alone compositions.

Assembling experiences

The material consists of field recordings made in the cities of
Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, York, London, Vienna, Brussels, Gent,
Antwerp, Liverpool, Leeds and inside various means of transportation
between them.Post production was cosmetic – limited to a couple of
necessary edits just to remove some short clippings and handling
noises. No further manipulation is being applied to the recordings. I
chose to provide no indexes both to avoid associations and to
highlight the continuity in the act of being aware to sound.

MK, 2009

1st edition of 180 cdrs

TREVOR JONES STUDIO SESSIONS vol I

The first months of the 2009 I composed a series of generative pieces
that were later performed in the control room of the Trevor Jones
Studio in York, Uk, in four impovised sessions (02, 03, 18 and 20 of
March).
The focus was on how sound alters the aesthetic and physical qualities
of the site and how it challenges its functionality. It was an attempt
to establish a sonorous architecture within the room.
I scholastically tried to create meaningful phonographic
representations of my efforts to dominate the space, so I could end up
with brand new fixed media works out of these attempts.That is to
treat my own performance as if a found soundscape to interpret.
Careful microphone selection and positioning is a powerful
compositional tool on its own. In these recordings I used a pair of
Neumann U-87i microphones. It soon become evident, though, that these
original recordings were that highly depended on the site itself, that
it was impossible to master. So I re-record everything in the only
place where it sounded nice, using a Soundfield ST-250 microphone, in
order to end up with a smoother version.
For the record, I only used the supercollider programming environment
and a Lexicon TC 6000 system.

THIS ALBUM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL TREVOR JONES STUDIO
SESSIONS !

MK, 2009

1st edition of 180 cdrs

you can pre-order on www.agxivatein.com