[microsound-announce] RAINFOREST IV - DAVID TUDOR /// 3rd-4th July

Ryan Jordan ryan-jordan at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 09:19:54 EDT 2009

 A10lab, Area10, Apo33, Noise=Noise, Beyond Signal, Fibrr Records & Sound Research Practice, Goldsmiths presents:

RAINFOREST IV - DAVID TUDOR

"a collaborative environmental work, spatially mixing the live sounds
of suspended sculptures and found objects, with their transformed
reflections in an audio system. "

PERFORMANCE & INSTALLATION

3rd & 4th of July - from 2pm to 11pm

£10 (online booking http://www.wegottickets.com)

£12 (on the door)

at AREA10 PROJECT SPACE

Eagle Wharf

Peckham Hill Street

London - SE15 5JT

(White building behind the Library)

http://a10lab.info/rainforest

Buses: 12, 36, 37, 63, 78, 436, 345, 177, 312, 343 Train: Peckham Rye Station

"In 1973 I made “Rainforest IV” where the objects that the sounds are
sent through are very large so that they have their own presence in
space. I mean, they actually sound locally in the space where they are
hanging as well as being supplemented by a loudspeaker system. The idea
is that if you send sound through materials, the resonant nodes of the
materials are released and those can be picked up by contact
microphones or phono cartridges and those have a different kind of
sound than the object does when you listen to it very close where it's
hanging. It becomes like a reflection and it makes, I thought, quite a
harmonious and beautiful atmosphere, because wherever you move in the
room, you have reminiscences of something you have heard at some other
point in the space. It's (can be) a large group piece actually, any
number of people can participate in it. It's important that each person
makes their own sculpture, decides how to program it, and performs it
themselves. Very little instruction is necessary for the piece. I've
found it to be almost self-teaching because you discover how to program
the devices by seeing what they like to accept. Its been a very
rewarding type of activity for me. It's been done by as large a group
as 14 people. So that was how our Rainforest was done.” David Tudor

Performed by

RYAN JORDAN

JULIEN OTTAVI

KASPER T TOEPLITZ

JEAN-BAPTISTE THIEBAUT

JOHN BOWERS

DOMINIQUE LEROY

PHILIP JULIAN

CHRIS WEAVER

JENNY PICKETT

RYO IKESHIRO

DAWN SCARFE

ANDY WHEDDON

DUNCAN RAVENHALL

ANTONIS ANTONIOU

and more

Thanks to ResonanceFM for their support!

Who is David Tudor?

David Tudor was born in Philadelphia, PA, in 1926. He studied with H.
William Hawke (organ, theory), Irma Wolpe Rademacher (piano) and
Stephan Wolpe (composition and analysis).His first professional
activity was as an organist, and he subsequently became known as one of
the leading avante-garde pianists of our time. Tudor gave highly
acclaimed first or early performances of worksby contemporary composers
Earle Brown, Sylvano Bussotti, Morton Feldman, Karlheinz Stockhausen,
Christian Wolff, Stephan Wolpe, and La Monte Young, among others.

Tudor began working with John Cage in the early fifties, as a member of
the Merce Cunningham Dance Company and with Cage's Project of Music for
Electronic Tape. Tudor gradually ended his active career as a pianist,
turning exclusively to the composition of live electronic music.

As a composer, Tudor chose specific electronic components and their
interconnections to define both composition and performance drawing
upon resources that were both flexible and complex. Tudor was one of
four Core Artists who collaborated on the design of the Pepsi Pavilion
for Expo '70, Osaka, Japan, a project of Experiments in Art and
Technology, Inc. Many of Tudor's compositions have involved
collaborative visual forces: light systems, laser projections, dance,
theater, television, film. Tudor's last project, Toneburst: Maps and
Fragments, was a collaboration with visual artist Sophia Ogielska.
Tudor's several collaborations with visual artist Jacqueline Monnier
included the development of a kite environment installed at the Whitney
Museum (Philip Morris, NYC) in 1986, at the exhibition "Klangraume" in
Dusseldorf in 1988, and at the Jack Tilton Gallery in New York City in
1990. Other collaborators have included Lowell Cross, Molly Davies,
Viola Farber, Anthony Martin, and Robert Rauschenberg.

Tudor had been affiliated with the Merce Cunningham Dance Company
(MCDC) since its inception in the summer of 1953. In 1992, after CageÕs
death, Tudor took over as Music Director of MCDC. Merce Cunningham has
commissioned numerous works from Tudor, including Rainforest I (1968);
Toneburst (1974); Weatherings (1978); Phonemes (1981); Sextet for Seven
(1982); Fragments (1984); Webwork (1987), Five Stone Wind (1988),
Virtual Focus (1990); Neural Network Plus (1992); and most recently
Soundings: Ocean Diary (1994) for what was John Cage's last conception,
Ocean.

http://www.emf.org/tudor/

Musicans & Artists websites:

http://jennypickett.co.uk

http://doc.gold.ac.uk/~ma701rj/

http://www.noiser.org

http://www.apo33.org

http://jbthiebaut.free.fr/

http://www.myspace.com/tonesucker

http://www.leftright.org/

http://www.cmx.org.uk/

http://resonancefm.com/

http://www.ry-om.net/index.htm

http://www.myspace.com/aseaofsound

http://www.myspace.com/antonioua

MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/